Running LP gas lines

Started by Jeff922, May 08, 2011, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff922

I decided to give myself two options for my hot water heater, clothes dryer, and stove.  I'm going to pre-wire everything for electric (for possible future use) and LP gas lines (which is currently the best option).  The electrical is easy enough, but I'm trying to find a good resource for running gas lines.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  There must be a web page with some solid basic info.  I'm sure somebody will tell me I "need" to hire a "professional" for safety reasons, but don't waste your keystrokes, I'm not interested in paying someone for something I can do myself.  I just need access to the right info. 
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

JRR

I bet your propane suppliers has several hand-out "how to" documents on the subject.

Jeff922

That's a good idea.   :D  I'll check their web pages.

Alan Gage

I'm looking forward to hearing your responses, I was going to research the same thing today. I'm also planning on wiring in electric and gas for appliances.

Every house I've ever lived in has used black iron in the house. The house I just tore down (to rebuild in the same spot) used copper from the tank to the house and iron from there.

I'll report back when I find something interesting.

Alan

Jeff922

Thanks Alan, I'll be sure to let you know if I find any good sources of information also.  My current home has a LP gas oven and dryer.  Everything from the tank outside to the appliances is flexible copper.

ScottA

The problem with copper is it's easy to puncture with a nail if hidden in walls. I see alot of copper lines for LP but personaly I feel safer with steel pipe. Outside in the ground it's not as big an issue so long as your soil doesn't attack copper. In some soils copper will corrode badly. Here in OK plumbers are no longer allowed to do LP unless they have an LP licence. Apparently the LP lobby protecting their dealers? I never bothered to get an LP licence when the law changed a few years ago since there's not much call for it.

Jeff922

I agree Scott, I'm not all that comfortable with the flexible copper in my house running unprotected across my basement walls and ceilings and I don't really like the idea of copper in the walls for the reason you pointed out.  Codes are still very lax in my neck of the woods.  I honestly see both sides of the issue.  Codes are very much needed, but at the same time it would make my DIY life a lot more difficult.  Now if common sense were actually common...

MountainDon

I would use black iron pipe; and I did.

It was difficult to find installation info as just about everywhere professional installation is highly recommended.

Have you checked with the local inspector? It is possible your area simply does not allow DIY gas pipe work. I think Nebraska doesn't even allow an owner-builder to do their own electrical wiring.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jeff922

I'm in one of Maine's "Unorganized Territories" so nobody is really checking on me.  I have to have my plumbing inspected and I can get a "do-it-yourself" electric permit from the state for $50.  I'm obliged to build to code, but nobody has ever questioned anything I'm doing.  I should probably call my plumbing inspector to see what he says about gas lines.  When he inspected my below grade plumbing I was not around.  He took a stick and wrote "OK" in the dirt.   :D 

JRR

If you aren't in a coded area, you can pick another state or municipal and see what can be "Googled".  For example, this is available from Georgin concerning installing "fuel gas" piping ... pretty good reading....:
http://www.gpta.net/Classes/Gas%20Pipe%20Install/gas%20installation.pdf

JRR

Jeff922

Thanks JRR!  Much appreciated.  :D

pmichelsen

What info are you looking for specifically? As long as you test your lines prior to filling them with gas you will be fine, no need to hire a professional.

river place

I'm also wondering about this topic as I need to run propone into my barn and also the patio beside it for grills.  Once the pipe from the tank gets to the barn I will run all lines with black pipe except on the exterior where I'll probably use galvanized threaded pipe.

From the tank to the barn I will use copper as the neighbors is run this way plus no codes out here.  I was thinking about running it inside gray plastic conduit underground for a bit of safety.  Run is only 15ft.

Alan Gage

QuoteI was thinking about running it inside gray plastic conduit underground for a bit of safety.

When I was reading about this everyone said if you're running it through conduit there's a special conduit that needs to be sealed and vented where it enters the house. Reason being if you get a leak underground it follows the conduit right into the house. If it leaks underground and there's no conduit it isn't likely to find its way inside.

Like you said, you're not dealing with codes. But I never would have thought of that. Just something to keep in mind.

Alan

Jeff922

Here's some stuff that might be helpful:

http://www.minhbao.com.vn/userfiles/file/A_NFPA54.pdf

http://minhbao.com.vn/userfiles/file/A_NFPA58.pdf

I'm going to check with my Plumbing code guy as well as the local LP company to be sure DIY work is okay.  If I'm allowed to do the work, I'll use black pipe for sure.

Native_NM

The new gas line in our portable (but semi-permanent) building was the flexible yellow stuff.  It literally took the plumber an hour to run the entire thing.  Some new-fangled compression fittings at each end, and a bottle of "Snoop" and he was done.  I asked the guy about it and he said it was pretty hard to screw up.  I plan on using it in my personal build.   
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

bayview

Run plastic pipe under ground . . .    Metal risers properly wrapped. . .   Black pipe and fittings above ground . . .    Use Rector seal on all male and female threaded joints. . .    

Don't use galvanized pipe or fittings. . .   It has a tendency to flake off . . .   Clogging the appliance.

We'll let Big Tony show you how . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

river place

Agreed on venting any conduit used.  Intent would be to only use conduit for 10th underground with both ends exposed to outside no connection of conduit through wall.  I'll not use galvanized thanks for the tip

pmichelsen

Quote from: bayview on May 11, 2011, 07:19:08 PM
- Run plastic pipe under ground    
- Metal risers properly wrapped. . .  
- Black pipe and fittings above ground . . .    
- Use Rector seal on all male and female threaded joints. . .    
- Don't use galvanized pipe or fittings. . .   It has a tendency to flake off . . .   Clogging the appliance.

That is pretty solid advice right there, basically outlines to a T what I did on a house last weekend. In CA we use polyethylene for the underground stuff, not sure if that is an option where you are, that stuff is cake to work with (until you punture it with the bobcat and have to fix it when it's 110 out).

bayview

Quote from: pmichelsen on May 12, 2011, 02:52:06 PM
That is pretty solid advice right there, basically outlines to a T what I did on a house last weekend. In CA we use polyethylene for the underground stuff, not sure if that is an option where you are, that stuff is cake to work with (until you punture it with the bobcat and have to fix it when it's 110 out).

Yep!   Years ago we did gas line, sewer line and electrical reroutes for swimming pool companies around the Dallas area.   Electrical at a depth of 24" or more in gray PVC.   Gas line was once orange poly pipe that was set at a minimum of 18".    I've lost count of how many 1000s of feet of gas line we had installed.   

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .