Hard wiring a smoke detector(s)

Started by John_M, April 16, 2009, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Well...we passed our rough electrical inspection.  He was looking to see if we had our fire detectors hard-wired, but we did not have them in yet.  He'll come back to look to be sure we do, so he asked us not to insulate over that part of it.

He mentioned using 3-way wire.  Anyone have a diagram of how to do that?  I know it is so it sets off all of the detectors if one goes off.
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

NM_Shooter

If I remember correctly, I believe I put all my smoke detectors on a single circuit, and ran (daisy chain style) a 3 conductor wire with ground.  hot and neutral supply power, and the red line is a common signal line for the detectors.  If one goes off, they all go off.

Yup... here you go:  http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/fire/question576.htm

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

John I have the diagram right in front of me but don't think I can scan and send.  Mine were made by Kidde Lifesaver.  The red wire is the traveler I think but the black goes to each as well.  You can probably find their site and look for yourself.  I went ahead and found it for you. Go to http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/Assets/Silhouette%20Smoke%20Sheet.pdf

bayview

Thanks, for the info . . . I didn't realize that the smoke detectors needed to be "piggy-backed".

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

John_M

As John says...."none of us are as smart as all of us"   ;)
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MikeT

I also asked this question in the plans support section, but for those of you who might not peruse that section and have some good advice, here is my related question:

I need to wire in my smoke detectors/alarms.  Is there a brand or elements I need to know about  What is highly regarded?

Thanks,
mt

Redoverfarm

Mike my detectors were already installed.  They used a module to connect them I think if I recall in the attic.  Mine was Kidde.  I believe they are mentioned in the site I posted.