New stuff to the end of the world kit

Started by peternap, September 18, 2008, 07:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Actually, not the kit. These are things that I consider necessary to live off grid and on our own.

A GOOD draw Knife
A GOOD Spokeshave
a good carpenters hammer and a cross peen hammer for the forge
A Good Ball peen hammer
A forge
A GOOD anvil with assorted swages and hardies plus a NAIL SWAGE

A GOOD handsaw, both crosscut and rip
Hacksaws and tongs

Gas Welder (Acetylene)

BORAX for a lot of things.

A calendar.

A sundial...This is something that didn't occur to me until a few months ago when my watch battery gave out at the farm. I have wind up watches but you have to set it somehow.
My wife gave me a pocket sundial for Christmas. I dug it out, pointed it due north and instant time.

Anyway, framing square and chalk line.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

muldoon

yes, all good stuff to have I agree.  however I retain my thought that survival is not a kit. 

I say the best thing to have is a good community around you.  No matter how prepared you are there is no way to hoard for everything that life throws at you, and certainly not for any real length of time.  One very important lesson I was very recently reminded was not to be so quick to discount the goodness in people in times of trouble.  Yes some are trouble, and some may even be dangerous, but most people dont fall into those categories based on my lifes experience.   I have seen such huge acts of random kindness and generosity this week it has nearly brought me to tears more than once.   

Good family ties, good friends, good neighbors, let one of them bring the anvil and forge.  I'll bring the bar b q and homemade beer.  :) 

One thing that would have been very helpful to have, toothache medicine for my wife who has been having some wisdom teeth pains which flared up.   Simple thing, tough when its not available. 

Redoverfarm

A darn good piece of high grade rope unless you are handy at weaving hemp.  That's another subject all by itself. ;D

glenn kangiser

Don't forget Chertoff  or was that Rummy..... hmm  We have so many scary criminals running our feral federal gubiment I don't remember which one it was...

Duck tape and plastic in case of nukular attack. d* [crz]  [scared]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.