roofing contractor leaves

Started by fastpoke, October 12, 2010, 11:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastpoke

So I hired this local guy in Golden BC to install my metal roofing for me, as I have no expirence with this. He gets about 80% completed in 2 days and I pay him 80% of quoted price. That was Sept. 17th. Nothing has been completed since and he tells he has a big contract and I'll have to wait. I'm planning on completing the rest myself as this is delaying the rest of completion. There is the chimney flashing, snow stops, ridge cap and filter to install. I have ropes and harness, so if i fall it wont be far. A couple of questions, does anybody have some pics of ridge roll filter being installed? Do I just nail or screw this down over the 2 sections of roofing and then put the ridge cap on top? Should this have been installed first before any roofing material was installed? I have a 12/12 roof except where my 10' wide dormer sits, can I just cut a couple of slits on each side of the dormer and bend the ridge cap to fit? Any advice will help, TIA.

Fatpoke

rocking23nf

Thats not that long ago, i would give him until the end of October and threaten legal action then.

JRR

Just for record-keeping I would take some current-conditiion photos.  Try to get some authority figure to be part of the image .. policeman, mailman, pastor, etc ... to witness the date. for later reference, if need be.  Send the contractor a copy "for his records".  You'll be surpirsed how such information gathering can help speed things along.  Do not do any work yourself, other than to throw a tarp over .... or you will have "assumed it".

ScottA

I hope he comes back. The lesson here is never pay for more than the materials until the job is done.

fastpoke

Thanks for the replies.

Does anybody have any pics of the ridge vent filter? I beleive this should have been put on first. I'm going out this weekend, and I'm planning on doing the work myself. I don't think he's coiming back as he has done about as much work as he has been paid for.

Fastpoke

JRR

As ScottA says, paying a contractor "fully" for work completed is usually a mistake.  If he's paid fully for completing a large portion of the job ... doing the balance is just like beginning all over again on a very small job ... a small job with small rewards.  Why bother? Walk away with the profit already made.

Now you finish the job and relieve him of any warranty implications.  If you hire a different contractor, you pay a premium because of the job size ... and now there's shared/no responsibility.

In my limited experience, companies usually "retain" a percentage of the whole contractor, 10% - 20% of the entire contract ... that is held by company employing contractor until the job is finished and approved.  Can be quite an incentive for the contractor to stay on task.

Good that you had this learning experience on a small job.

fastpoke

Decided to complete it by myself. Lesson learned. Now if I can only figure out how to post pictures.

nathan.principe

You can open a photobucket.com account if you dont already have one, and up-load your pictures to it following there directions.  Once you have done that you can copy the code under the pic tittled IMG and paste it in your post

astidham

here are your pics, put your mouse over the pictures, a box will open under the pic, copy the img code and paste in your forum message

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

bayview

Wow!   What a view . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

cabinfever