10x16 cedar post deck for the bunkhouse

Started by Cowboy Billy, November 19, 2011, 10:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy Billy

Its been a rough year. My Dad passed away Feb 27th and we had too much to do at his place to make it to the farm. I finally got to the farm Oct 6th for a week to build a deck on my bunk house. And ended up staying for five weeks. The first week was great dry and warm and ended up hauling gravel and fixing up trails and sawing wood. The second week was rainy but I needed time inside the barn cleaning it up and setting up my new planner and wiring in my generator to run it and fixing up the pad the porch would sit on. My brother Tommy came up Oct 21st and helped plane the cedar boards for the deck and get most of it built.

After he left the weather looked good for a while so I decided to go ahead and build a roof over the deck and turn it into a porch. I don't know why I am like this but it just means something to me to do the whole thing from start to finish. And when I say start I mean start. I designed it. Sawed every tree cut it into lumber, planed it. Peeled every log by hand. I did not buy one board but made them myself. 95% of it is all white cedar and I think it came out great!

Somehow I can never stay clean.

I'm sealing the wood with Thompsons water seal. My brother Tommy is picking out the best boards from what I cut.

Mirror image boards. Ya don't get this from a lumber yard. This wasn't planned I just happened to look down and see it. Somehow it made it all the way through cutting and planing and got laid down like a tree that was cut in half and opened like a book by chance.

I hand peeled the cedar posts for the deck. It took me about two hours to cut and peel each one

Log set up in the sawmill. It took four to five cuts on the mill and flipping it end for end to make each post then trim it out with a chainsaw.

This ain't no pre made kit from home depo!

The first eight posts up. And frame work for the roof started.

A load of cedar boards going from the sawmill to the barn to be planned.

The new planner hooked up and running off my lister generator.

The roof is on!My cousin Lyle and his friend Rusty came over and helped me get the stringers osb and tin on.

Now all the posts ar up. Door openings framed and knee walls done.

I have to say I love how it turned out. I love sitting on and watching the sun come up. Now I need a self contained fire pit to put in it for those chilly days!

Billy

Redoverfarm

Nice job. Looks like an old "hit & miss" motor in the  background near the planner.  If it is you had better hide it from Glenn ;)

Cowboy Billy

Thanks John

Its a 14hp diesel lister clone. Its the back up generator for my house. I took it to the farm to power the planner. Unfortunately it wasn't quite powerful enough to run the planner. It was barley able to plane the cedar but when I ran a spruce board though it I had to shut the planner off part way through as it was stalling the generator out.

Billy

CjAl

porch is nicebut i want he lister. is it electric start or hand crank only? been trying to find a 6/1 or 10/1.

glenn kangiser

Nice project and toys, Billy...

I can't stay clean around here either and in fact most of the country peole here in the mountains don't fret it because if you work around here you are going to get dirty.  Clean all the time is for those other people.  :)

Listeroid is a cool engine. Peternap has one.  I have an old original lister on a pump.  It is froze up but maybe someday I will check out...right after I finish my house.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Cowboy Billy

Hi CeAl

Its a had crank. I rigged a starter generator on it but it wasn't enough to get it past compression. I think if I put a bigger pulley on starter I can get it spinning fast enough with the compression release to get it popping. I got mine just before the import ban I had heard it was coming and made sure I got it. Keep looking they come up from time to time. Check here from time to time

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?board=2.0   I see someone is selling 8-1's

Howdy Glenn

Amen on that. It doesn't bother me it just means I got something done. I wish I had a original lister but I am still happy with what I have. Keep soaking it down with penetrating oil so its ready when you are. Even though I haven't been posting I enjoy reading you house thread and seeing what You and Sassy are up to.

Billy

CjAl

ya i have already talked to him about tbe 8/1's. i am cheap, i need to get over that. lol. i have a friend in australia who is trying to imagrate. he was going to get me an original lister and put it in his container when he shipped his stuff over but now he.just got declined a visa. back to looking.

Cowboy Billy

Sassy

Very nice cedar post deck! 

Yeah, we tend to ramble on a bit sometimes...  off-topic, ya know  :D  But it's fun & we're still making a little headway, although a bit slow  [waiting]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Hey Billy...be careful over there at the Underground Cabin - It gets a bit crazy sometimes... but all for show... right -- just to keep the troops entertained... we're not really that crazy in real life....  are we....?

[waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Cowboy Billy

Thanks Sassy

I think its great. A house is just a building. But a home is someplace to live and that includes what is going on outside and around the house to me. I love the gardens and animals.  And its given me a lot of good ideas and pointed me in some directions I would not have found by myself. As I try to define what I want to do with my place and how to go about doing it.

John

Well I hope ya are. Life is too shore to be bored. Being a little crazy keeps me from going insane. But then again I question the sanity of people that just spend money to make other people think they are rich and seem to think the only way to have fun is spend money. Rather than take time to make something they can feel proud about.

Billy

glenn kangiser

That would be Glenn, Billy but I've got you.  Glad you enjoy the thread.
:)

Baldassare Forestiere said it well.  "Anybody can build something with lots of money.  To build something out of nothing, now that's something."

http://www.forestiere-historicalcenter.com/Forestierebio.html

Cowboy Billy

Sorry Glenn. I don't know how I did that.

That's awesome. I'll add that to my list of things to see if I ever make it out west! I can't imagine all the time and effort he put into building like that. But what a legacy to leave behind!

My cousin had a beautiful cabin built 1/2 mile from our place. He was telling my brother and me how he built it and my brother told him he didn't build it he wrote a check to the guys that did. He didn't appreciate the the comment at all.

Billy