Parent's Get-Away

Started by Pala, August 27, 2006, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Chuck you should try to keep the Scott monkey very happy :) Nice job Scott  8-)  I really like that lambs tongue effect with the chamfer bit . I use it a lot , if I might suggest a thought or two well maybe three  :-[

On the flutes a bit more tradational look would be to stop the outer two flutes say 1 1/2" to 2" short of the center flute , like these on this mantal.

Un painted photo might show it a bit better,

If you haven't done so, some Benite on that raw wood will help a lot with keeping hand prints  from getting as  deep into the wood and a bit with rain / water. Won't hurt in the long run weather its  paint grade or stain grade  but it might save some cleanup time . Might help a bit with checking as well.

The weathers been pretty good so far , maybe we're going to have a mild winter :-/ I like those as I get older ;)

Keep up the good work, PEG

tc-vt

Chuck

Looking at your foundation pictures reminded me of doing mine.  I, too, was originally planning on a monopour until I found it difficult to get the gravel fill into a sloped shape around the perimeter.  That and this being the first time I ever did this led to the decision to do the foundation in two stages.  It made for a lot less to deal with all at once (filling the forms, finishing the surface, etc).  It also made estimating the cement much easier than trying to estimate for the thickened edge of a monopour.

I probably ended up with forms that were severely overbuilt, waking up every morning and thinking they needed more strength than that which I added the previous day.  This went on for several days, adding a brace here and there.

I wish I had the time to think about and do nicer details like the ones you have done instead of building my plain generic box.  They look good.  Maybe next project.

Tom

Pala

Thanx for the feedback PEG, I see that the staggered flutes do look better as you suggest.  Next time I'll keep that in mind.  Although, I don't like to confound the "creative genius" if I can help it.  ;)

Give Scooter some room to create and he always comes up with somthing unique and stylish.

I'll get some benite on that wood this week end.  It has linseed oil on it now.  Should I go right over that with the benite?

Super-thank you's for the tips.

TC-VT, I wish we had overbuilt ours a bit more.  No major burden.  A day or so with the construction hammer and we cleaned up the slumped concrete real well.

Should be sheeting off the 2nd floor this afternoonage.  More photos to come.

peg_688

No problem Chuck . Just another way to approach it.

I'd wipe the stuff down with paint thinner / mineral spirits to thin out the linseed oil , it tend to be , well oily and that oil attracts dirt etc . So I'd wipe um down good then put on a liberal / heavy coat of Benite , just wet it downa couple of three times , you be able to tell when it's enought.

Nice job again to Scott 8-)  PEG    

Sassy

That is really nice woodworking, Pala -  both Peg's style & Scott's look really pretty.  

Pala

All Gables are up.  :o

I've hired a crane to lift up the ridge beam.  All the monkeys thought that was a great idea.   :P

chuck.

p.s. more photos at the link below in the FRAMING album.

glenn-k

Really taking shape now, Chuck. :)

Pala

$90 well spent.

chuck

glenn-k

You must have known that guy - most of the time there is a few hour minimum at 90 to 120 per hour around here.  Good deal. :)

Pala

Lazy backwater towns,  you know everybody.  ;)

But he must have a 1 hr min,  cause he wasn't there more than 25 mins or so.

Pala

Rafter tails.   :o

House-shaped stack of wood and nails.

chuck.

Amanda_931

Nice pile of wood and nails.

Pala

When you order rafters, be sure to specify "extra cute"

enjoy.
chuck.

Sassy

Those are really nice - what a "cute" place that will be with all the special custom woodwork 8-) - I am enjoying!

Sassy

Pala

Skylights and more roofy goodness at:

http://www.kinnik.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=g_st_Framing&page=1

We should be doing some backfilling/trenching and utility hookups on Monday or Tuesday.

enjoy,
chuck.

Pala

More rafter goodness.

chuck.

Pala

Mixing, pump, manifold for radiant floor system.

Sassy

Pala, looks like you are using copper pipes throughout?  They're a lot more work but probably more durable for the long run - after all, you are building the home to last, not something that will be torn down in 20-30 years...
The "pex" plumbing lines are much easier to do & hopefully have a long life... you can put them anywhere without a lot of hassle - we used it in our place & Daddymem & Mommymen used it in their new home.

Lookin' good!  Anymore pictures?  

Pala

Brrr...

Sassy:  I'm just using copper for this mixing system.   The on-demand water heater requires 4' of copper, so I figured I'd do this much in copper.  It goes to PEX once it leaves this board.  PEX supply line to the meter as well.  I did my previous house in PEX,  super easy.

Cold here, roof can't come soon enough.

chuck.

Pala

Consider all birds blocked!

Lots more photos at the link below.

borgdog

I believe you might need a roof first!

Pala

I believe you might need a roof first!

Aren't you coming over to do that this week??

;)

Pala

And the dog says....

Pala

Dry-ed in, more or less.  Doors, except the upstairs french, are in now too.

Gotta call the gutter guy.

chuck