Increase size of small cabin plan

Started by RGillispie, May 03, 2011, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGillispie

Hello All, :-\

I purchased the 30X20 small cabin plan with 10' wall height.

After a long discussion with my love of my life  :-\ I've or we have decided to increase to 34X25 with 12' wall height.  Can ya'll provide any input of changes I will have to make to the plan. Such as joints and other ares of concern.

Going to start breaking ground soon using block foundation at 48''. Building in South West Virginia area. Too much rock for a basement unless I could find some dinamite.

Thanks,

Richard

MountainDon

Lengthening a plan is simple; just more of the same.

Widening and raising wall heights is another matter. Wider means redesigning the rafters and floor joists and most likely the foundation. Raising the wall height may get into non-prescriptive (read that as engineered) solutions with regards to rafter loads, outward forces on the wall tops, possibly wind and other design loads.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

duncanshannon

With Mfg. joists, you should be able to go do 24' wide - inflection (movement) may be an issue for you at that point.  (fwiw i'm a rookie here, but Im pretty confident that I that right).  Multiples of 4 or 8 may be a good thing too, in terms of efficiency of build and cutting.

whats the extra wall height for?  tall ceilings or a loft? 
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Don_P

Hi Richard, where in SW VA are you?

What MtnDon said  :).

There is something to be said for going 24' wide, this is a stock design for many truss plants, churned out by the bazillions. Deflection is the word you're thinking of for sag, inflection is the point of contraflexure in a continuous beam where the bending moment passes through zero.

MushCreek

Quote from: Don_P on May 03, 2011, 09:49:12 PM
Hi Richard, where in SW VA are you?

What MtnDon said  :).

There is something to be said for going 24' wide, this is a stock design for many truss plants, churned out by the bazillions. Deflection is the word you're thinking of for sag, inflection is the point of contraflexure in a continuous beam where the bending moment passes through zero.

I could actually feel my brain bog down when i read that last sentence!  d*
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.