Finishing my ceiling

Started by John_M, April 03, 2009, 09:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

Anyone have some recommendations as to what to finish my beams and ceilings with?  Its 4 x 12 Hemlock beams and 2 x 8 T & G flooring.  I really don't think I want to change the color too much.

I was thinking just spar urethane?  Any ideas?

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MountainDon

Nice! If you don't want to change the color much use something like Minwax water based polyurethane.

That's what I used.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

I used Minwax Polycrylic, a water based polyurethane that will not darken as it ages. It is easy to apply and dries crystal clear.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

That's the one!!  :) Couldn't think of the name and the can is in the paint locker behind the Jeep. It's wonderful stuff. I did 3 thin brushed out coats.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

It is not recommended for wear areas but the ceiling side and beams should be OK.  I did however use on the wear side of my T&G but did so just to protect and I will follow-up with a oil based poly for the final two coats.  It is rather costly at roughly $42 per gallon.  I saw not long ago that Zinsser has came out with a similar product which is cheaper than Mimwax.  Here is there site.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=166

muldoon

Spar urethane, is oil based and has additives in it to help protect from suns uv rays.  It is an outdoor finish and I would not think it necessary for the ceiling.  Way overkill and more expensive.  As the others have said, water based urethanes or varnishes would probably be the best bet on it.   lacquer is an option if you like it. 

My favorite finish on most wood is tung oil, but it does require some re-work over the years to keep it looking good, not something you would want to do on a ceiling!   Instead of being a sealant that dries on top of the wood, tung and danish oils are thinner and penetrate the wood giving a much more subtle finish that looks great.  The wipe on polyurethanes work the same way. 

One option might be to apply a tung oil finish on the beams, then polyurethane the entire thing, the boards and beams.  you'll get some difference in the look of the wood but most of it will remain very natural looking.  The hemlock grains will really pull out strong with two or tree good coats.  .. or wipes as it were. 

I'm just thinking outloud, I'm sure it's going to look great whatever you end up with   ;)

Redoverfarm

sjdehner I used a white on my ceiling as well.  I didn't actually paint but applied a sort of pickle finish with white latex paint.  It gives the appearence of a white ceiling but the knots and grain show through.  I followed up with a water based poly.

This was before I had chinked the logs but the ceiling is clearly shown

Redoverfarm

Thanks for the compliment

With the old aged logs I felt that the natural finish would look out of place.  And to stain them dark it would have made the ceiling too dark as well as the room.  So I just split the difference and lightened it some but you still see the grain and knots in the wood.  In fact I haven't left any of the wood trim or walls light or natural but stained them to go with the old logs.  The only portion that is light is the light grey gable wall & M. Bedroom which are drywall.  On those I went with a color that compliments the ceiling T&G which is a semi-transp grey with the grain and knots.