20X34 2.5 story in GA

Started by Frank W, December 06, 2013, 01:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank W

Hi everyone! We finally made some progress. The footings are dug but the rain has held up the concrete being delivered.
I bought a 12X24 prebuilt cabin to live in til the house is done. I wired and plumbed it. It has 2 lofts that are used for beds.
I had a well drilled and septic tank is installed. I had the power company run the wires underground.
I was going to do everything building the 20X34 2.5 story cottage but I just can't find the time to get it done in a reasonable time. I hired the footings and block for the crawl space, and I have gotten several estimates on framing, setting the windows, wrapping in Tyvek and putting the metal on the roof. After it's dried in I'll take over on the plumbing, electrical, siding and interor. I have a estimate on the material take off and they are suggesting LVL beams and stick building the roof trusses. I'll post pics soon. Any advise and comments are welcome.
Frank

fortunate27

w* Well hello there. Glad to here of your project. I certainly understand the time issue with trying to divide what you can do yourself and letting a crew do the rest. There are many on the post that simply hire much a do less. Most importantly is that you come out with a house built in good standing. You could take the plan to a custom shell builder for your area- a bit up on cost but it all works out and the house is up and shell ready for you to finish the inside work you are talking about. just a thought. Hope take off nicely there.

Looking forward to your plans. . . . :)

Frank W

I've got tons of pictures to share of the progress but won't have internet service til Friday. I'm sure this is a boring thread but it will be exciting, I promise.

Frank W

I have photobucket mobile uploaded to my phone but can't figure out how to post pics. Anyone done this?

Frank W

Frank W

Part of the flooring and paneling.

Frank W

Here is the property shortly after I bought it. Installed the pipe, and hauled dirt and gravel, one load at a time.

Frank W

Tons of stumps. I cut all the trees and dragged them to a staging area, cut all the branches off and stacked all the logs.

[IMG]https://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/FrankZX/Mobile%20Uploads/A9773DFC-61F9-48A5-B1F3-A654C410F751.j

Frank W

Stump remover. One of my sons on the mini excavator.

Footings done.

Frank W

Frank W

How do the footings look? I forgot to mention, there a 4 piers instead of 2 and the footing are wider and deeper due to much water. We dug all the wet dirt out.

Frank W

Here's my diesel Samurai. Yes diesel:)
It's powered by a Volkswagen diesel. The conversion kit came from acme adapters. It fits like factory and gets 40 MPG.

MountainDon

I've seen those. They work well, even if they smell funny.   ;D

[cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Frank W

Frank W

Finally got internet svc. No more phone post. LOL

mwhutch

w* Frank. What part of Georgia are you buiding in? It seems like there are quite a few of us down here in the south east building right now. It looks like your build is coming right along!

speedfunk

cool conversion on ur samuria.  I need to get something similar.  looking at a 1978 CJ7 right now.

Frank W

I'm close to Hard Labor creek state park. Where are you building?
A day an a half work. 3 really good framers.

Frank W

Frank W

Quote from: speedfunk on December 17, 2013, 08:49:10 AM
cool conversion on ur samuria.  I need to get something similar.  looking at a 1978 CJ7 right now.
4BT Cummins diesel would be a great swap in a jeep. I had a turbo version a few years ago. Great motors.

Frank W

We got most of the roof decked and gable done. Had to put a gable for head room at the top of stairs to the loft. I need advise for stairs. Anyone built stairs to a similar floor plan?
https://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/FrankZX/Mobile%20Uploads/55FDFABE-5A29-4BF7-8881-082FBF269F95.jpg

mwhutch

Wow, it really looks great! We are just a couple hours north of you near Anderson SC.

Frank W

I haven't been on here since Christmas. Too busy working on the house. The good news is the metal roof is done, some windows installed, electrical panel mounted and I just got a 6 circuit transfer switch!
Pics soon.