Cork flooring over tile?

Started by Missilini, July 28, 2005, 02:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missilini

I want to install a floating cork floor over cracked tile in my kitchen and bathrooms.

Can I use some kind of leveling compound to fill in the slight indentations where the grout is  :), or must I remove all of the tile  :(.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Love,
Laura

rdzone

it would be best to remove the old tile first.  If not you are looking for problems down the line.

glenn-k

I would also agree that it would be best to remove it - not much to stick to on old tile for one thing -and each layer added can make less room for things that go under counters such as dishwashers etc.

To answer your first question though - yes there are things that would fill the grout lines - There is a feathering mix -some type of cement and sand mix and Fixall - it will fix almost anything-fast drying and non shrink if remember right.  I don't know how well either of these would stick to tile though.

Bobthechippie

There's a saying that I've always stuck to. Do it once do it right or it will cost in the long run.

I agree with Glen, removal of the tiles is the sensible option.  You may find later down the line
possible read thru (old grout lines and high spots showing) on the higher foot traffic areas.

If your tiles have a glazed surface and you would rather leave them down, a weak solution of hydrochloric acid can be used to treat any areas that need to be filled,(This will remove the glaze) followed by acetic acid (vinegar) to neutralise any residue. Give the areas a good wash with a sponge squeeze mop. Follow this with a polyester type filler to fill any small indents and grout lines
As with any type of acidic liquids, whether in a confined space or outside, full safety gear should be worn. Long armed PVC gloves, Eye protection, Respirator, and overalls.

Hope this is of use to you

Regards Phill

peg_688

A product called RDEX might work for that application . But I'd agree with Glenn and Bob all sort of future problems , appliances not fitting under cabs , tell-a-graphing etc .   Welcome Bob , so carpenters are Chippie down under as well as in England I see, nice website , interesting to see your remo tech's  :) HTBH ;)PEG

Bobthechippie

Thanks for the comments PEG. I hope I can be of use to any members, just don't confuse New Zealand with Australia. The latter is one of our countys. ;D

jonseyhay

We used to be. That was 'til the bridge blew over, now we are going to have a go at making it on our own.  ;D
jonesy

Bobthechippie

Just build a tunnel Jonsey. I read somwhere Auzzies are called diggers arn't they.

;)

jonseyhay

You got us Bob,  ;)
Tell ya what mate, you start digging from your end and I'll meet you in the middle. If you've got any decent beer over there, I may be able to talk Glenn into coming down to give us a hand. He's an expert on underground stuff. ;D
jonesy

BTW, Mate, welcome aboard.

glenn-k

OK Jonesy and Bob, -I'll meet you there but I can't swim.  Is it OK if I walk ???

jonseyhay

Yeah, that should be all right Glenn, but you, would probably need a decent run-up.  ;D
BTW, You shouldn't have any problem with the sharks mate, the crocs, got them.  ;)
jonesy

Bobthechippie

Hey Glenn, Jonesy can pay youre air fare to NZ and we can start next friday. Jonsey will probably meet us half way cause he's shorter than us so his half  can be smaller, that way he doe's most of the work. Agreed?

glenn-k

Love to Bob but the date won't work - family reunion on Saturday, and if you have ever seen a troglodyte family reunion, you know wouldn't want to disrupt it. :-/

Another problem - if he's shorter and we start in NZ will we be able to continue through his smaller tunnel to OZ without making it larger?