Don's Book Corner

Started by MountainDon, December 12, 2007, 12:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

We'll at least big government is interested in the plight of women.

http://www.jibjab.com/view/95416
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

JibJab's got lots of cool animated videos as well. Fun place to explore.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Been reading through the Laura Ingalls Wilder books with my girls in the evenings.  We finished Little House in the Big Woods and are about halfway through Little House on the Prairie.  My oldest was really upset when we read the part about killing a calf for the rennet to make cheese... she was ready to swear off eating cheese forever for a little while (that lasted until lunch the next day.)  They were fascinated with why the wolves would follow Pa and the horse home without hurting them and with what a prairie chicken looks like, and so forth... sometimes I spend more time explaining than I do reading.  I remember my mom reading through all those books with me the year before I was in kindergarten.  The next year, I wanted her to read through them all again with me, but she said if I wanted to read them, I had to do it myself, so I did, and every year after all through grade school.  Parts of them I know so well I don't even really have to look at the page when I'm reading them to the kids. 

jwv

Interesting that this topic popped up as some nurse friends and I have been having a discussion of a film that is coming out-The business of Being Born. This subject of birth is suddenly a hot topic.
Having been a labor and delivery RN for 28 years I have seen many physicians over the years.  While I agree that most get in because they feel they have something to offer, they are no different from any other profession. If their territory is threatened, they can attack. The Midwifery issue has always been political and you have to read the Kitzinger book with an awareness of the time it was written, a time when midwives were under attack by the medical community. While it may now seem dated and overly harsh, if it weren't for her and others of that time, there would probably be no midwives delivering babies at home.  So while you have chosen to read her book for birth information, no book on midwifery or homebirth can be complete without a discussion of the political aspects.  Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. :)  She has wonderful information to impart.

"the thing that somewhat perplexes me is how she keeps talking about the decision to have your baby at home as if it were a political decision rather than just because it is what you think is best for the baby."  And that's what most midwives want to provide-what's best for the baby and mom and family. And while most physicians want what's best for baby and mom, they want it during daylight hours and preferably before 5pm and please not during pony lessons, or the kids school play or shopping or the movie, or, or, or.  (Believe me, in 28years I've heard them all). Having a midwife assisted birth at home is illegal in several states, so just the act of having a homebirth makes a political statement.  It has always been physicians who have pushed to have direct-entry midwifery outlawed even tho statistics show that midwife attended birth is at least as safe as having a hospital assisted birth.  However, if you choose a homebirth but have some difficulty requiring a trip to the hospital you will most likely be treated like a pariah, and shamed for putting your baby's health at risk.

It sounds as if you might plan on having your baby by yourself.  I hope I misunderstood that.  While I think you should be able to choose the birth that is best for you, I would never encourage anyone to have an unattended birth.

Another interesting read on this subject is Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care.

All the best to you during this exciting time,
Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Homegrown Tomatoes

Judy, I would hope not to have a completely unattended birth (certainly at least two little girls will be around!!) but the hospital that I am supposed to deliver at is over an hour away, and my first daughter, start to finish, was about two or three hours tops getting here.  After terrible hospital experiences, I'd really like to give birth at home, but my husband is a little freaked out by the thought, so I will most likely have a hospital birth again, even though I dread that part.  My second daughter was induced three weeks early for no other reason than I woke up sick at my stomach that morning and my doc assumed that I was in labor, broke my water (even though the baby showed no signs of stress and I wasn't dilated that much.)  I spent twelve very agonizing hours in labor with the pitocin being cranked up every half hour, no pain meds, and with a whole class of med students coming in wanting to check my cervix  (I was so mad I think it slowed down the progression of labor because I was under extreme stress and really had some murderous thoughts toward the whole hospital staff during that time.)  To top it off, about halfway through my labor, Mary, the labor nurse with my first daughter came in and announced she would be "managing" my labor.  She was so horrible and hateful with my first labor that I had nothing but dread of her being on shift (though to give her credit, she was much nicer the second time through... the first she was incredibly discouraging, rude, and kept pushing pain meds which I'd told her I didn't want or need.)  When I didn't have the baby "on schedule", the doctor came in and told me if I didn't have her by 2:30 AM, she was going to do a c-section.  This was at 2:00 AM.  My daughter came out with three pushes at 2:21 AM, less than ten minutes from when they planned to roll me down to the OR.  I'd love to have a homebirth attended by a midwife... I strongly believe that pregnancy and childbirth are a human condition, not necessarily a medical condition.  However, because of the harsh labor with my second, it took about six months to feel like a human being again... it was at least that long before I wasn't in constant pain, but I was too humiliated to say anything about it.  
 I don't totally disregard Kitzinger's book, but like I said, I don't agree with her on everything, either.  There's good information to be had, but I just get frustrated because my reasons for wanting to have a baby at home are not political (though I'm sure that they could be construed as such.)  If we move before my due date (which I fervently hope we will!!!) I will be back in a place where it is much easier to find a midwife who'll deliver at home... that would be ideal.  Around here, they must operate somewhat covertly because I couldn't find any even though our insurance would actually pay for a midwife to deliver a baby.  I am due in mid-May, and from the feel of this baby, he/she is more like my first... the baby feels long and tall already like my first, "rocket-baby".  Even if we are still in WI when the baby arrives, I am determined that I will not go to the hospital until labor is father along so they won't have as much opportunity to leave keloid scars with needles and there won't be time for multiple electronic monitors.  Or for a whole class of med students to come in and want to stick their hands where they don't belong.  One way or another, there is no way I'll put up with the crap I went through for the first two... (Did I mention that the doctor induced the first one because of snow?  The real reason is that she didn't want to have to come in on Christmas Day, but as it turned out, she was born on Christmas Eve.)  I will fight induction with everything in me.  I'm sure that pitocin has legitimate medical uses, but using it to speed up a labor that will progress just fine on its own is not one of them.  I'll check to see if our local library has the second book you mention... if not, I'm sure they can get it for me.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Another thing that has bugged me so far about the doctor I am seeing during this pregnancy (well, not so much her as her nurses) is that I started this pregnancy somewhat overweight... I am not huge, but I'm not skinny either.  I am 20 weeks pregnant and so far have only gained 2 pounds total.  Even though my belly is getting bigger, my face and arms are looking thinner, so it is almost like the weight is being redistributed.  When I went in for my last appointment, the nurse weighed me and bellowed, "Well!  You're obviously eating!  You gained two pounds!!"  First of all, she announced it like it was a huge amount IN THE HALLWAY as if to shame me for gaining any weight, and as if I'd gained that much since the previous appointment, but that was my over all weight gain for the whole pregnancy, even given that Thanksgiving happened right before that appointment and MOST people put on a pound or two during the holidays, not to mention that I was wearing a double layer of clothing and snow boots when I was weighed and the last time I had had on jeans and a t-shirt.  To me, it seems as if a lot of the medical profession deals with people like this.... several years ago when I was still in college, I suddenly gained around 30 pounds.  I went to the doctor because it was so sudden and I was really active... I was afraid that I had a thyroid problem because half my family does.  Come to find out it was because I was eating a lot of soy products, and when I laid off soy, my weight stabilized and has never shot up that fast since.  I mean, I played racketball 4-5 days a week, and every Friday night I played basketball until it was too dark to see the hoop, and I walked everywhere I went, how could I gain weight like that?  When I asked the doctor if he could test my thyroid because several members in my family have thyroid issues, he laughed and said, "Heh-heh, all fat people like to think they have thyroid problems!"  I was furious and humiliated at the same time... told him, "Well, I wasn't fat just one month ago." and walked out.  Haven't had a lot of use for the medical profession ever since then.

I can see myself going on from soapbox to soapbox here, so I'd best quit before I end up writing all day.  Besides, I have tile to grout and kids to teach and a lot of other stuff that needs done!

glenn kangiser

As for babies, I think that in general, they will come out when they are ready to come out.  Doctors many times have the God complex and can't be wrong.  Stick to your guns and educate yourself so you will know what's up.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thank you Glenn, I intend to!  I told my husband that I'm not going to the hospital this time until at least my water breaks on it's own or the baby's head is right there... I just really don't want a bunch of people hanging around acting like I have some sort of pathological disease and I'm their guinea pig to try new stuff on.  I don't want to give them time to intervene too much.  I don't mind so much staying in the hospital for the day after the baby's born simply because it means that I don't have to cook and can take it easy for a day or so because heaven knows when I go back home I have to go back to my normal busy schedule, and with a newborn wanting to nurse every little bit, it's a little tricky to balance everything.  But, if I had my way, I'd be home for the whole thing and just have a friend or relative come over and help with the kids and cooking, etc. 

jwv

Glenn, you blaspheme!  [shocked] And now that I've read that post I'm sure my eyes will be cursed!

HGT, I sent you a PM.

Here's a joke:
A doctor dies and goes to heaven. St. Peter meets him at the pearly gates and checks him in. After he's registered, St. Peter says to him, "Look at the time: you must be hungry! Heaven Cafeteria is serving lunch, why don't you get yourself something to eat?"

The doctor goes to the cafeteria and notices the long line. He immediately cuts in at the front, only to hear loud protests. "I'm a doctor" he says, "I'm a busy man, I don't have time to wait in line."

The others say, "You're in heaven now, we're all the same here, get to the back of the line and wait your turn!"

A few weeks later, waiting patiently on line for lunch, the doctor notices a man come dashing in wearing scrubs and a lab coat, stethoscope around his neck. He butts in at the head of the line and no one utters a peep. "Hey," he says to the guy in front of him, "Who does that guy think he is?"

"Oh, that's God," says the guy, "He likes to play doctor."

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

glenn kangiser

There you go, Judy.

I flew my plane loaded with doctors, nurses and support people to Mexico many times to a clinic.  I got to know a lot of them pretty well.  Most were pretty decent -- some were unbearable.  I would occasionally have to drag one back who was lost flying around somewhere over the continent.

The last time Sassy and I went was when one Doctor god took a half full taxi with him and about three of his girls to the motel and made us wait about 2 hours for the next one.

Being married to a nurse, I know that many times a good nurse will suggest things to the doctor that he may have missed or not recognized.

Sorry for the blasphemy...is it too late? ???

MountainDon

I started a new book, Property and Freedom by Richard Pipes. ..."private property has long been essential not only for economic development but for the very existence of liberty and democracy."

Private property as we understand it developed with the ancient Greeks. Plato was a communist, in that he believed all property was to be shared by all, and that private ownership led to rivalries and unrest. Aristotle on the other hand recognized that property held by all was not looked after by any.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

I wonder what Aristotle would think now? We have a government that hires three people to do one persons job and pays top dollar to boot.
I kind of like private property.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

It will have to end -- there are not enough people left working for a good wage to pay the taxes.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Judy, I sent you a reply a few days ago.

Homegrown Tomatoes

For the record, I think the end of the book is the best part... she records three or four moms' stories about having their babies at home... they were interesting stories, and I could've handled a whole book of such.  Still don't think that a male OBGYN is just on a power trip, though, even if I wouldn't personally go to one. 

I've also started reading the field guide to insects to my daughter.  It was her birthday present... she's not old enough to read most of it herself, but she loves to have me read it to her.  I'm learning more about bugs than I ever wanted to know.  :)

Sassy

Hmmmm, Ron Paul is a GYN/OB doc... and he's running for president...  I still like him  ;D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: Sassy on January 04, 2008, 05:09:14 PM
Hmmmm, Ron Paul is a GYN/OB doc... and he's running for president...  I still like him  ;D
Liking him and having him deliver my kid are two entirely different things, lol. 

My old OB in Oklahoma was married to a general practitioner who also delivered babies... I liked the husband way better than the wife, but the wife delivered my kids and he came with her to the hospital to check the babies out because he was their doctor.  He was honestly friendlier and more down-to-earth.  Together, they'd raised 6 kids, but while she was always very professional and clinical, I remember him telling me at DD's one week check-up that if I had to get more sleep, I could feed her a little rice cereal  and it honestly wouldn't kill her because they did that with their own kids.  My oldest was constantly starving and it seemed like she was constantly nursing up to six months, and was grabbing food off the table by three months, and when I admitted that I'd let her try table food, he just laughed and said that if she was able to grab it  and get it into her mouth, then more power to her.

glenn kangiser

My oldest son was eating solid food very early.  It was the only way we could fill him up.

Sassy

My oldest son was 7 wks old when I started feeding him rice cereal - I would make a huge bowl full - if I didn't spoon it out to him fast enough, he had a fit! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

I think it just depends on the kid... our oldest acted like she was starving to death from the day she was born, and to her credit, she looked the part, skinny little thing.  She's still a great eater and skinny as a pencil.  I didn't take the doc's advice until she was about 6 weeks old, and she liked the cereal OK, but didn't seem to go nuts on it.  When she was about two months old, she grabbed a fried apple off my plate and got it in her mouth before I could get it away, and boy did she throw a fit for more!  She later did the same thing with whole pickled garlic, steamed broccoli, watermelon, you name it.  She didn't do 'baby' food.  We threw whatever veggies we were having (or meats, sometimes) in the blender long enough to make them easier to chew but not so long that they were mushy, and she was happy.  The little one only wanted breastmilk, and finally we had to start forcing her to eat some cereals and stuff at 5-6 months.  She would've been content to nurse exclusively forever.  Once we moved to veggies, though, she went nuts on them and never really looked back.  The only thing she didn't like was garbanzo beans.  I love the fact that they aren't picky.

desdawg

I have a copy of "The Wilderness World of John Muir" waiting for me whenever I finish Atlas Shrugged. I kind of got bogged down at the end and I have been busy.
Anyway John Muir lived from 1836 to 1914 and traveled most of America on foot and kept journals of his travels. Back then the wild country was still wild and usettled. I have hopes it will be interesting. John Muir was the President of the "militant" Sierra Club since it's formation in 1892. I don't like the Sierra Club but I will give them some equal time just for curiosity's sake. Muir is credited as being the person who convinced Theodore Roosevelt of the need for conservation at the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest here in AZ. All this from the back cover of the book. More will be revealed I am sure.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

He was big around Yosemite also.

MountainDon

People generally see Muir as the first conservationist, but he should be seen as a preservationist. If he, and the Sierra club (to this day) had their way i would be totally impossible to cut a tree, build in the forests and even visiting the forests would be limited to those able to walk on foot. Pardon me, horses would be allowed as they are 'natural'. The entire dang west would be declared official Wilderness (with a capital W).

Gifford Pinchot was a contemporary of Muirs. They had a falling out when Pinchot declared he was for the sustainable use of the forests. He saw the rich natural resources and was for regulated use. In my book Pinchot was a conservationist, not Muir.

I'm not a fan of the Sierra Club either. Not when they have counted the likes of David Foreman on there Board of Directors. Foreman founded the radical Earth First! movement as well as The Wildlands Project. And right close to home he was co-founder of the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance. I have traded 'opinions' with him at various Forest Service meetings over the years. I don't think he likes me. I don't like him.

I hope it's an interesting read, desdawg. The descriptions of how he traveled and what he saw should be interesting. I've not read any of his own books. I've read a lot about John Wesley Powell though.

MountainDon

I'm still reading Property and freedom, but a post on another thread reminded me of a book I read a while before I started this topic. The book; The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World by Bjorn Lomborg. It was published in 2001 but he makes a lot of sense. He has a more recent book on similar theme, Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming. I'm waiting for it at the library.

His writing looks at more than most alarmist books on the subject. Well worth a read IMO.

ergodesk

Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste
By burning away all the pesky carbon and other impurities, coal power plants produce heaps of radiation

http://styrohomenews.blogspot.com