Say a prayer for Mtn. Don

Started by NM_Shooter, June 26, 2011, 10:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

The back side of the Jemez is burning.  I don't know if his cabin is at risk.  I received a text message from him earlier today, but have not heard anything more. This is the view from my house as of Sunday at 9:30pm looking NNW.  That is a telephoto lens, so distance is compressed.  I suspect that this is well south of Mtn Don's cabin.  Let's hope so. 

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

NM_Shooter

Just heard this is well East of Don.  Went from zero to over 3500 acres in 7 hours.  We're at 98 degrees and 25mph winds.  The whole state is a tinderbox.

NM_Shooter

This in from Don's wife just now :

Hi Frank,
Don tried to send you a phone photo of the smoke from the fire. Don guesses the fire is between 5 and seven miles East of our cabin. The wind is blowing East so that is good for us. Don is at the cabin and I hope to drive the car up to a friend's place in los Pinos late tomorrow afternoon and Don will pick me up there.
Karen

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Frank.  I have been next to one of those big fires.  They can go miles in a short time.  Here's hoping it goes the other way from Don's place.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Will say a prayer for him...  I know how helpless I felt when the fire surrounded us 3 yrs ago - I was down in the valley working so the only way I knew if the house was still there was to call our phone - if it rang, the house was ok - didn't know how Glenn was doing cuz his cell phone didn't work & he was out all the time clearing brush & helping others. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

rwanders

God Bless you and your family, Mtn Don.

May He spare your mountain and your cabin--From our lips to God's Ear

rwanders
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Squirl

Thank you for the update.  Our thoughts are with him.

It is good to see you back Frank.

Native_NM

I'll be thinking of you today.  Let's pray for rain.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

archimedes

Scary stuff.  I hope everyone gets out ok.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Windpower

Damn that is too close for comfort

stay safe, Don
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Texas Tornado

My prayers as well!! Stay safe!!

muldoon

If it comes to it, forget the cabin, keep yourself safe Don.  sending prayers

Native_NM

One of my employees lives off of NM4 just one mile from Jemez Falls. He indicates fire is moving east, but could double back. They are evacuating Los Alamos. This could get ugly. 

He is in town currently.  They have closed the road.  He called ahead and they won't even let him return home to retrieve important stuff. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

John Raabe

Not sounding too good. Fire is a massive unpredictable mover of lives.

Don, of course, hasn't had enough to worry about these last few months.

Hope all can stay safe and intact.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

peternap

I was watching it on the news a few minutes ago.
Fires and floods always spook me.
Pryers sent again Don but I have a gut feeling, you;ll be OK.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

I love you Mtn Don...Prayers to you and your family please keep safe!

firefox

You have our prayers Don.
Bruce & Robbie
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

rich2Vermont

Wouldn't it be great if we could redistribute all the rain we've had here in the east to the tinder dry southwest. Prayers and best wishes Don. Keep safe.

NM_Shooter

My best guess is that unless the winds shift tremendously, Don's cabin is spared.  The folks of Los Alamos are in much more grave danger.  They evacuated the town yesterday.  As of 10pm the fire had grown to 44000 acres (from zero to 44,000 in 30 hours!)  and was 4 miles from the town.  It closed from 12 miles to 4 miles in a matter of 6 hours. 

Some rain would be a tremendous blessing.

Ajax

Quote from: NM_Shooter on June 26, 2011, 11:02:48 PM
Just heard this is well East of Don.  Went from zero to over 3500 acres in 7 hours.  We're at 98 degrees and 25mph winds.  The whole state is a tinderbox.

I'd make a comment about global warming and the new normal and all, but that would just bring out the deniers.  Fires across the US so far this year have been catastrpohic
Ajax .... What an ass.
muldoon

OlJarhead

Your in my prayers Don!  It sounds like it may not make it to your place and I hope that's the case!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Ajax on June 28, 2011, 11:00:00 AM
I'd make a comment about global warming and the new normal and all, but that would just bring out the deniers.  Fires across the US so far this year have been catastrpohic

You just did but I won't turn this into a debate.

Hang in there Don!

Sassy

Good to hear from you NM_Shooter!  Missed your comments on the forum...   :(  Hope all is going well & you are enjoying your cabin.

How are things w/MtnDon & his property?  I keep following the news.  This year has been terrible for disasters around the world & the US has had their share. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on June 27, 2011, 06:18:16 PM
I was watching it on the news a few minutes ago.
Fires and floods always spook me.
Pryers sent again Don but I have a gut feeling, you;ll be OK.

Could use a flood any time now.
We are both back home right now.
More later
Thanks for posting the fire data Frank
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.