OSB and Smartside questions

Started by deejay, September 21, 2008, 05:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deejay

Greetings all,
Long time reader. Building the 20' universal over a full basement. I had some of my OSB closest to the ground get "wet". Before I could get the Tyvek on it. The bottom edge has "swelled" a little and there is some flaking along that edge.

Something to worry about? Cut it out and replace? Keep it dry and move on?

Also, we're considering using the LP Smartside siding product. Opinions on it?
Another class action lawsuit waiting to happen or did they get it right this time?

Thanks and Good Luck to All...

Redoverfarm

deejay  I guess it would depend on how far it is lapped over the foundation (or not).  If it still covers the sill plate in good shape I wouldn't think you would have a problem.  That is unless it is to the point that it would throw off the elevation of your siding to show a hump.  If you have it low enough that a trim of the damage might be in order that would work.

What type of LP are you going with. Panels, lap, decorative or other. I have never used it before.  I still think of it a composite hardboard (Mindset) and in it's previous life did not like water or moisture.

Have you considered hardi instead?

w*

John

deejay

Thanks, John

I'm looking at the Smartside panels. The LP propaganda claims they've been tested in Hilo Hawaii with no problems. They also say termites don't find it delicious.

I have considered the Hardie panels. As of now the labor crew is me and the wife.
Those suckers are HEAVY. I thought the Smartside was a decent compromise between T1-11 and Hardie panel. A little more protection than plywood (in theory) but easier to work with than Hardie.

The OSB should be OK.  It doesn't lap over. But there isn't any bulge that will throw off whatever siding we go with.

Kevin

I put smartside on my cabin and have not had any problems. I went with it because it was cheaper than T111 but now there about the same.
Smartside is nice because it is already primed. But if you want stain look go with T111.

PA-Builder

I used the Smartside lap siding (I believe they were 7 1/2" wide) about five years ago on the front portion of my cabin.  Put one coat of acrylic latex paint on and they still look good as new.  Very easy to work with (when compared to fiber cement).