Timkel's Cabin Update

Started by timkel, August 29, 2011, 06:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkel

New addition update:
Contractor completed the new 16'x14' addition shell. Now my part begins. So far, I installed electric, insulated the walls(6"), the ceiling(16") and cut entryway into existing cabin. Remaning work is installing T&G ceiling, T&G walls, hardwood flooring and trim work on doors and windows. The floor insulation is still under discussion.
Some pics

glenn kangiser

Broke this off here so you could carry on where you left off, Timkel.   :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OlJarhead

Cool :)

Now Timkel where are those updates?   ;D

And welcome to the forum  w*

timkel

I will be finishing inside over the next few weeks. I will update with pics.
Here are a few pics of my new steel shed.
Size is 10' deep by 12' wide by 7' high. Roll-up door is 6' wide. Frame is 12gauge steel.

OlJarhead

Looks like a well built steel shed -- not one of those cheapy fall apart ones.

timkel

We had a lot of flooding in the area because of a hurricane. The drive was long with many detours because of roads being closed. The damage to many homes were extensive. Here are a few pics I took along the way.

timkel

I was able to get the supplies I needed to get to work. I installed T&G pine on the ceiling and walls. I used air nailers for the first time. Wow they are wonderful tools. Really a time and sweat saver.
Next trip I will finish the walls and install the hardwood floor.

OlJarhead

Nice! 

I'm glad you escaped the hurricane!  I was in hurricane Hugo -- well under it actually -- and escaped any damage but remember the noise the most!  Like a freight training running you over!  Crazy times.

Tickhill

Welcome aboard! Great looking addition, keep the pics coming. w*
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

timkel

Some more updates. Walls finisted. Floor finished. Moved in new room. Still have some trim work to go. I am really happy with how it turned out.

OlJarhead

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

timkel

Just hired a contractor to install the floor insulation. He will be using the 2" thick styrofoam insulating panels(R-10). The panels will be cut to size to fit between the floor joists, up against the subfloor. There will be no cavity for animals to nest.

OlJarhead

Quote from: timkel on October 23, 2011, 08:02:52 AM
Just hired a contractor to install the floor insulation. He will be using the 2" thick styrofoam insulating panels(R-10). The panels will be cut to size to fit between the floor joists, up against the subfloor. There will be no cavity for animals to nest.

Interesting!  I wonder what the coast of those panels is compared to fiberglass?  I have considered them myself.

timkel

Wood trim work complete, curtains are up and floor insulated. Floor was insulated to R-10. As the weather gets colder, I will check floor to determine if R-10 is enough.
I do get 7 TV channels. Most are high definition.

timkel

Quote from: OlJarhead on October 24, 2011, 05:33:50 PM
Interesting!  I wonder what the coast of those panels is compared to fiberglass?  I have considered them myself.
Cost is high. 4' x 8' x 2" sheet cost $30.00

I used fiberglass in the floor twice before. Animals nesting pulled it all out very quickly. A total waste of $$

timkel

timkel

This project is now complete. The extra room is really nice. I wish I had done this 30 years ago.
This weekend I am installing a new Wilson cell phone antenna amplifier system. Then I will be able to make calls and have internet access.

OlJarhead

I love the guns above the double doors!   [cool]

Sounds like you're living in heaven my friend :)  Very nice.

Sassy

Looks great!  Nice interior decorating, too.  I can imagine how much roomier things feel  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

timkel

Installed a new Wilson cell phone antenna amplifier system. This included a new Wilson amplifier plus an inside antenna. I hooked it to an existing outside antenna. Cell phone calls now work very well. But the data connection is not reliable or fast enough. So I purchased a better outside antenna and will install it soon.
Inside antenna

Signal amplifier

OlJarhead

I've been considering this only I have some limitations I have to work with.

For one, I can get 2 or 3 bars (sometimes 4) in ONE SPOT on top of my hill.  There is NO other coverage on my property and the ONE SPOT is almost 1000 feet from my cabin.

My first thought was to put up a small gazebo type shelter and the amp within it with a solar panel and batteries so it could be left on when we are there but then I learned the range of these systems is pretty limited....so then I thought I might try daisy chaining two of them to get the reach down the hill...but who knows...maybe by the time I'm ready they will be better ;)

timkel

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 28, 2011, 09:55:57 AM
I've been considering this only I have some limitations I have to work with.

For one, I can get 2 or 3 bars (sometimes 4) in ONE SPOT on top of my hill.  There is NO other coverage on my property and the ONE SPOT is almost 1000 feet from my cabin.

My first thought was to put up a small gazebo type shelter and the amp within it with a solar panel and batteries so it could be left on when we are there but then I learned the range of these systems is pretty limited....so then I thought I might try daisy chaining two of them to get the reach down the hill...but who knows...maybe by the time I'm ready they will be better ;)
First of all, I am not an expert. I have used a roof top cell antenna for 5+ years. The nearest cell signal was 1/2 mile away, nearest cell tower, 5 miles away. You need to know some things to determine if a system like this would work at your site. How far away is the nearest cell tower? And in what direction? Do you have line of sight? or is it over hills? Then you can call Wilson Electronics. Speak to the tech line. They will tell you if it is possible and what you need, ect. The power bars on a cell phone are not a good indicator of cell signal strength. If you have an andriod smart phone, the app "OpenSignal" works well for me. It shows cell signal strength and direction of cell towers. It also measures data speed.

OlJarhead

Quote from: timkel on December 28, 2011, 01:21:27 PM
First of all, I am not an expert. I have used a roof top cell antenna for 5+ years. The nearest cell signal was 1/2 mile away, nearest cell tower, 5 miles away. You need to know some things to determine if a system like this would work at your site. How far away is the nearest cell tower? And in what direction? Do you have line of sight? or is it over hills? Then you can call Wilson Electronics. Speak to the tech line. They will tell you if it is possible and what you need, ect. The power bars on a cell phone are not a good indicator of cell signal strength. If you have an andriod smart phone, the app "OpenSignal" works well for me. It shows cell signal strength and direction of cell towers. It also measures data speed.

Hadn't heard of 'OPenSignal' but now that I have i'll have to get it.

When I was working for Nortel Networks we always had to 'call P' a site after building it.  The way we did that was with an 'ap' (for lack of better word) on our phones that would tell us the signal strength as well as sector we were one....funny thing is I hadn't gotten to the point of trying to do anything like that at our site.

Funny thing is when I was with Williams Communications we set up a directional antenna on our site up in 'Bear Springs' which is on Mount Hood.  There was no coverage there but you could get one bar -- just enough to frustrate you.  So one of the guys had a directional antenna built and installed and we'd just plug it into our phone -- yes the old Nokia's that you could remove the antenna on could be plugged into a bigger antenna -- and call all day long :)  Full bars :)

*chuckle*  hope I don't sound like a goof ball!  I just haven't researched this enough yet.  Perhaps just waiting for something to fall into my lap (which it may just have)....and thinking about it as I type I think you just answered my quest for an answer :D 

In my case I'm down the hill away from the spot where coverage is achievable (though not easy to get) and the tower is, at best guess, some 20-30 miles away as the crow flies (Omak according to Verizon and ATT) with mountains between us.  I think I'm just shooting the gap on my hill actually because there is NO COVERAGE anywhere else I've found -- even up higher then me!

But I think I can use a directional if I get it up high enough at the cabin and shoot the gap with it and then stick it in the amp/booster -- I'll have to investigate it now I guess.

Thanks

timkel

A bit of an update.
This is the Yagi cell phone antenna I installed on the roof. It is directional, so I pointed it to the nearest cell tower. I am able to make phone calls and go online.