Rod Iron Railing

Started by Whitlock, March 07, 2009, 10:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitlock

As some of you may have noticed I havent been on the forum lately.
I have been up in Arnold CA on a railing job. The railing weighs in at 27 pounds per foot.
I would build it in place then unbolt it take it to the powder coater then bring it back and install it.
I'm so glad it is over d*

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

Wow! That's a lot of railing! No wonder you were absent a while.

Very nice looking, Whitlock.

:) :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I'm glad I didn't have to do that.  Looks like way to much work. [waiting]

Nice job, Whitlock. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

It would appear that railing might be worth more than the materials I have in my cabin?   ??? ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

As I recall it may cover the materials on your house in town too.  Whitlock mentioned the cost once to me.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

DirtyLittleSecret

Have buddies who are pipefitters, and used to do metal fab for a living myself so I understand how much work that job must've been.  Great job, and you earned an A+! [cool]
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

Nice work. No wonder houses in California cost so much.

PEG688

Quote from: Whitlock on March 07, 2009, 10:40:03 AM

Odd that they spent that much on railings and used T1-11 for siding and (I assume) single wall sheathing? Is that even code in Ca. ?? Single wall sheathing?? Or is there plywood or OSB behind that T1-11??

BTW nice work  8)

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jens

single wall sheathin is allowed, at least it is on the second floor.  Nice railings Whitlock.  I like the green powder too.  We used to do a lot of rails in the shop I worked in, but we always did the whole thing in the shop.  It would be quite interesting to build in place, disassemble, coat, then reassemble.  Very nice job, good sir (that is best read with a horribly snotty English accent)!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Redoverfarm

Great Job Whitlock  :)  You would have thought they could have least put copper roof so it would patnia and match the railings. ;D

Whitlock

Quote from: MountainDon on March 07, 2009, 11:17:33 AM
It would appear that railing might be worth more than the materials I have in my cabin?   ??? ???

This might be so ;D I hate to say how much a foot it was. Lets just say it was more than most people make in a year or four ;D
710 feet of it,in the snow,a$$hole contractor,3hours from home,nothing square, (that is why it had to be built in place), cameras that the owner and contracor could watch from home >:(
All taken into consideration before the bid :-\

Peg the house is a remodel That wall is the only one that is still T1
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

PEG688

I saw the camera on the front of the house,  ::) Glad you calc'ed all that into the bid  ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .