Is there such thing as 2x T&G?

Started by Erin, January 21, 2009, 03:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

Maybe this will make you feel better... true story

I'm a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses.  If I had my druthers I'd build one like the Pope-Leighey house.  So a couple years ago I thought I'd look into the idea.  I wound up in a fairly heated argument with a group of employees at Lowe's with them all telling me "there's no such thing as a flat roof.... anywhere".  Now I'm greatly outnumbered but I'm standing there suppressing laughter and making brief glances upward while they went on.  We are standing in the middle of an 88,000 sq. ft. building with a flat roof.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Erin

QuoteWe are standing in the middle of an 88,000 sq. ft. building with a flat roof.

lol!
Yeah, like the guy at the Lumber desk.  "2x6 T&G?  You mean 1x6?"
No, 2x6.

"Well ma'am (said with a touch of patting-the-little-lady-on-the-head), there's just no such thing as 2x6 T&G" 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

John_C

Sometimes you've got to talk real slow and do show and tell.

Find a 1' piece of 2x6 T&G and go to the Pro desk. If need be I'll chase down a piece and send it to you.  Hold it up and say...

I........ want......to......get.......some......2......by.....6......tongue......&......groove.

Native_NM

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Ernest T. Bass

We have a pair of those for 1'' stock but haven't tried them yet... Would come in handy for a small job.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Erin

Quote from: Native_NM on January 23, 2009, 10:42:03 PM

Why not make your own?:

http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp?pn=P16-4017&bhcd2=1232768391

Oh good grief!
I really wish you hadn't shown me such a thing! 

I have mentioned T&G is twice as expensive as standard, yes?   :-\

John_C

QuoteI have mentioned T&G is twice as expensive as standard

It shouldn't be that much more than square edge if you are comparing the same grade of lumber.  Here it's 25%  -  33% more.  It's often made with a better grade than you would find on the rack at the lumber yard.  The premium is small enough that I wouldn't make my own even though I already have the tools & cutters.  I've had to make some in odd widths to match existing stock.

Again keep in mind that it seems to be common stuff around here and anything but in your area.

glenn kangiser

I think that may be because Nebraska doesn't have forests that I know of.  Wheat or corn stalks don't make large boards. d*

Transportation is likely higher to get it shipped there.

Just guessing though.... [crz]

I guess I'm wrong - googled it and found that they do have a forest service.... :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Just thought I would jump in here on an older thread and put out a little word of caution.  If you are using 2" T&G for a loft floor break down and buy a roll of construction paper (brown or red)and cover you T&G before before attempting to finish the loft area with your wall covering or ceiling coverings ( Drywall or other T&G).  This is especially true if you plan on finsihing the floor.  It will make your job a lot easier later attempting to clean up the drywall dust, sawdust and other debri from the cracks and surface. It will also protect the surface from falling objects hammers and the like.   

Mo

I was on 84 lumbers web site it shows that they have stores in Nebraska. We bought our T&G from them, they have a great supplier.

Erin

True enough.  It's in Lincoln.  400 miles to the east.   ;)
Yeah, we were planning on covering it.  (though I was thinking blue plastic, heavy paper would probably be better...)