24 x 32 on Tug Hill NY

Started by nysono, June 27, 2011, 09:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyhunter

Quote from: nysono on July 30, 2011, 07:10:17 AM
Its been a slow week for building and I have to work again this weekend but off all next week.  the plan is to get the reaminder of the blocks parged and sponge sand finished, get loft built and floor on before setting trusses and sheeting next weekend, might be overly aggressive but gotta have a goal to shoot for right?

you always have to have well layed out plans.............  and extra help ;D....good luck on the work next week 8)

duncanshannon

Awesome progress!! You are making it look way too easy!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

AdironDoc

Wow, it's really going up fast now! Looking back to your first photos where you were clearing the lot, it seemed you're on the side of a gently sloping hill? If so, how's the view from the top floor? Looking great, keep posting!

Glenn

nysono

Well the week is over and we accomplished all that I had planned, I am exhausted but in a good way.  Loft built, deck on, trusses set, sheathing on and the rest of the block parging done.  So many thanks to all that helped. pics to follow, downloading now.

nysono

well as promised here are some pics....
loft is built...4 x 6 rough cut hemlock on 16" centers

deck going on

trusses going up, sure helps to have family/friends with the right equipment

nysono

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, the last one

sheathing started

end of the day saturday

first sheet sunday morning

final piece of roof sheathing

nysono

Im sure OSHA would have had a field day with us but oh well....... you do what you have to.

nysono

Quote from: AdironDoc on August 02, 2011, 10:01:33 AM
Wow, it's really going up fast now! Looking back to your first photos where you were clearing the lot, it seemed you're on the side of a gently sloping hill? If so, how's the view from the top floor? Looking great, keep posting!

Glenn

view from the loft is pretty wooded and high!!! Might be looking into birds nests in the spring, but I like it.

nysono

Just ordered the steel for the roof to be here friday, plan for this weekend is to have it all up, praying for one more dry weekend..........

pmichelsen

Quote from: nysono on August 07, 2011, 07:52:04 PM
Im sure OSHA would have had a field day with us but oh well....... you do what you have to.

Man, heights don't bother me much, but I might get a little shakey on that one. Looks good, and I agree having family/friends with the right equipment is priceless.

Sassy

Wow, you guys got a lot done!  Gonna look really nice.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

nysono

well we did it, accomplished the steel this weekend!!!!!!  I even got one window in today.  Lots of little stuff to do that doesnt show up but have to be done...squash blocks, hurricane straps, deck lags.....it goes on and on.  Here are a few pics

first sheet

My Dad, building a rock retainer wall

a little more progress

Drip edge install

nysono

ah, the piece we have been looking for, last sheet

DONE!!! last piece of ridge cap

Many thanks to all!!!!

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

duncanshannon

That's awesome - nice work!

Did you rent the lift for the weekend to get the roof on?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

nysono

Quote from: duncanshannon on August 14, 2011, 07:33:19 PM
That's awesome - nice work!

Did you rent the lift for the weekend to get the roof on?

A friend owns the lift, I get to use it til Im done, just put fuel in it and buy him a beverage or three....

AdironDoc

Wow, looking great! I like the retaining wall too. btw, was looking at Tug Hill region facts and noticed you get the most snowfall in the Eastern USA. 250 inches on average? Will you be able to access your place in the winter?

nysono

Quote from: AdironDoc on August 15, 2011, 07:49:00 AM
Wow, looking great! I like the retaining wall too. btw, was looking at Tug Hill region facts and noticed you get the most snowfall in the Eastern USA. 250 inches on average? Will you be able to access your place in the winter?

I can access only by snowmobile, which I have 2 of, so Wife and I can get in anytime (4 wheelers for that transition time, spring and fall).  Yes 250" is a low snow year for right where camp is, lovely lake effect from Lake Ontario.

Here is a link:http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/pr97/may97/noaa97-r215.html

We get our fair share, I cant wait to be up at camp after one of these......Sorry cant make it to work today.....

pmichelsen

You guys sure don't mess around. Looks great!

nysono

Quote from: pmichelsen on August 15, 2011, 08:37:37 AM
You guys sure don't mess around. Looks great!

The goal is to get dried in by snowfall which can happen in October.  Much harder to take building materials in on snowmobile

AdironDoc

Wow! How far off a plowed road are you? I've got 2 miles of trail to main camp, 500 ft to guest camp. Ironically, main camp lies just across the creek from guest camp. I guess I'll be needing snowmobiles as well..and ATVs..Sheesh! Time to work harder!

nysono

Quote from: AdironDoc on August 15, 2011, 12:13:16 PM
Wow! How far off a plowed road are you? I've got 2 miles of trail to main camp, 500 ft to guest camp. Ironically, main camp lies just across the creek from guest camp. I guess I'll be needing snowmobiles as well..and ATVs..Sheesh! Time to work harder!

From a plowed road to the front door of camp is just about 1.7 miles...most of that  (1.2) is a groomed snowmobile trail after hunting season.  We wanted to be off the "main drag", I guess this is it.

atv/snowmobiles/camp......that is how I justifiy (in my mind) why I have to take call.  The option to not take call is not there so I might as well get some enjoyment out of it.

nysono

Just got off the phone with building materials supplier.....I have to special order soffit if I want green to match roof, no big deal...oh but wait, I have to order a whole box ?32pieces? and I only need about 12.    What are your thoughts on white (in stock) soffit......anybody got pics ?????

Thanks

MountainDon

What is the soffit material? Paintable?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

nysono

Quote from: MountainDon on August 17, 2011, 12:13:07 PM
What is the soffit material? Paintable?

Material is vinyl, yeah its paintable but a PITA to do so.....but you bring up a good point, I can always put it up and if its that much of an eyesore then paint it.

Thanks