blocking for drywall

Started by dug, December 19, 2010, 10:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

I am getting ready to start putting up drywall on my ceiling and am not sure how to handle the transition where ceiling meets the walls.

in the above photo (an old one) you can see one of the hurricane ties installed. there are now ties on all the rafters, most of them like this-

since I am learning as I go I just copied this method of attachment from other threads I have seen here but now it seems I should have some wood to screw the bottom edge of the drywall to. I was thinking of nailing some 1 & 1/2 by 1 & 1/2 strips on top of the top plate, between each rafter but the hurricane ties are in the way. Not quite sure what to do.

Do I necessarily need this blocking? In the end the ceiling drywall will not be exposed.

chris1199

Typically you would not need any additional blocking in that situation. The sheetrock on the rafter slope is supported, I assume, 16" OC, which is spanned easily by the sheetrock. Likewise, the wall sheetrock is supported by the studs and the plate. This is primarily the same as the situation on the wall where two sheets butt horizontally 48" off the floor. There is no blocking between the studs as it is not needed.
Where the hurricane ties are installed, make sure the nails are all seated fully. They tend to make bumps in the rock, and harder to tape.

dug

thanks Chris! I was kind of hoping for that answer.

cmsilvay

Are you going to sheetrock the collar ties/joists. They appear to be 32 or 48 spacing.

Jeff922

My upstairs sheetrock situation is very similar and I used the same hurricane straps as you.  I am going to use 1 x 3 #4 grade pine strapping (super cheap) running perpendicular to all my rafters and collar ties.  I was also concerned about lack of screw/nail surface along the bottom edge of ceiling sheetrock as the transition, so a piece of strapping will take care of this.  The real reason I decided on strapping is because when I put my 6' level up against the rafters and collar ties they just don't line up nice and flat.  I was very careful when I made my trusses but the nature of construction grade lumber left things uneven.  With strapping, I figure I can easily shim things nice and flat before I start hanging and get a nice flat ceiling.  Your place is looking really fantastic by the way.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"