Kubota excavator tread problem

Started by conohawk, May 28, 2005, 10:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conohawk

Anyone know how to re-seat the rubber track on a Kubota 121 excavator?  I'm surprised how easily the track managed to slip off.  

Thank you for any advice,

-Mark

glenn kangiser

I put one back on a big Kobelco about two weeks ago - it was all steel though and used my crane truck to put it back on.  

I haven't worked on the small rubber track ones but I would assume that there is some kind of an adjuster on it that you could back off as far as possible then possibly you could get a chain and come along and try to pull it back on as you roll it forward and back.  You may be able to rotate the bucket to the side then hook a chain to it and to the track and pull with the bucket as you travel a little forward and back to try to pull it on.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

conohawk

glenn kangiser

I forgot something that may help-- If the excavator has enough power you can rotate the bucket to the side and push down on the ground raising the entire track on one side off the ground then have an assistant slowly rotate the track in the air forward or backward as you push the track or pull it with a comealong or chain to run it back on the idler.

Hope this makes sense - be careful.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

conohawk

QuoteI forgot something that may help-- If the excavator has enough power you can rotate the bucket to the side and push down on the ground raising the entire track on one side off the ground then have an assistant slowly rotate the track in the air forward or backward as you push the track or pull it with a comealong or chain to run it back on the idler.

Hope this makes sense - be careful.

Good idea!

conohawk

For posterity, I'll record here the proper method for installing a track on the Kubota 121 excavator....

1.  First, ask Glenn K. about it, just to see if a sole human can accomplish the task.

2.  Call rental agency's emergency number to speak with a mechanic.

3. Use the excavator's arm to lift the side of the machine having the missing track.

4. Loosen the idler arm bolt.  It is beneath a small cover place.   Has a grease fitting on it.

5. Use the excavator's arm  and a length of 4"x4" wood post to depress the idler arm.

6. Work the track back into position using a pry bar.

7.  Use a gease gun to extend the idler arm back into position.

8.  Tighten idler arm bolt.

Done.

glenn-k

I was wondering how you were doing.  I guess at the least I missed the post trick and was a little vague on the rest, eh ???

Good Job.