Day labor rates

Started by MikeT, May 03, 2010, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I need help digging a trench.  Hand digging is really the only way to do this, but I would like to do it in a day, if possible.  So I was thinking of trying to locate some day labor.  Is there a "normal" rate?  Is this negotiated up front?  Any tips would be appreciated....

mt

MountainDon

The few times that I've been on the hiring end the price was negotiated on a job basis, not daily or hourly. Come to think of it most of the time when I was on the other end it was priced and negotiated by the job too. Probably varies widely across the country.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

Dallas - Undocumented workers get $8.00 per hour plus paid lunch . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

NM_Shooter

Good luck...

I advertised $20 an hour plus transportation and lunch and got zero  calls. 

For hard manual labor, I would pay no less than $15, and would consider a bonus if expectations were exceeded.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

rocking23nf

8 bucks an hour to build a trench? insane.

30$ minumum.

MikeT

Are you saying $30 per hour for an 3 foot deep, 12"wide trench?

rocking23nf

Yes I am saying that.

Not sure what your economies are like where you live, but trademen get paid around 35$ an hour, but thier companies bill out at around 75$ an hour.

So 30$ would be the lowest I would dig trenchs for.

bayview

Quote from: rocking23nf on May 03, 2010, 01:26:52 PM

30$ minumum.

I guess the illegal's WILL do things Americans won't  . . .

I must be living in poverty!   The median family income for our area is about $30,000 or about $600 a week.   This means that 1/2 of the families in town get less than $15 per hour . . .    They would probably welcome $20 and hour for ditch digging.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

NM_Shooter

Quote from: rocking23nf on May 03, 2010, 01:26:52 PM

30$ minumum.

$30 an hour for unskilled labor?  I thought $20 was ridiculous.  And we wonder why jobs are going to India! 

rocking23nf

like I said, it may be different in your area, im in oil rich alberta. I make around 55k and I consider myself around average. Household averages here are around 80,000.

MikeT

"Think I'll go out to Alberta,
Weather's good there in the fall,
I got some friends that I could go
to working for

Still I wish you'd change your mind
If I asked you one more time,
But we've through that a hundred times or more"

Sorry, for that digression, but when I read Alberta, I think of Ian Tyson...

JavaMan

Ok, as long as we've jumped the track slightly ... would that be ...

Wait for it ...

30 loonies?!? ::) d*

Sorry, I just had to say it.  I was channeling my father. What can I say. :)

Seriously, tho - $30/hour for digging a ditch (basically) - I would say that's amazing.  Right now, I'd settle for about 35-40 per for software development, and I've been doing it for 20+ years!

NM_Shooter

But here's the deal.. you don't need to hire skilled labor to dig your ditch.  I wouldn't do it myself for $30 an hour.  I'd consider it for $100. 

The message here is don't hire union.  Day labor is usually day labor because they have a shallow skill set. 

Digging a ditch is a great way for a kid to realize the benefits of an education. 

diyfrank

The laborers where I work make between $10.00 and $20.00 an hr. They do much more than dig trenches but I would say an experience man with a shovel will double the amount of trench dug in a day. They will surely put the average to shame.
Home is where you make it

eddiescabin

Just FYI, $10/hr for any type manual labor. Pick em up in front of Home Depot...pick one that drives and pay him $12/hr....also make sure one of them speaks english...oh, and order a pizza for lunch.

Funny related story, hired 3 guys to dig out a large oak tree trunk, they worked pretty hard for a couple hours, then one guy spotted a machete in my shed...this man hacked a few hundred pound truck out of the earth quickly and in an amazing fashion!

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: eddiescabin on May 04, 2010, 03:27:21 AM

Funny related story, hired 3 guys to dig out a large oak tree trunk, they worked pretty hard for a couple hours, then one guy spotted a machete in my shed...this man hacked a few hundred pound truck out of the earth quickly and in an amazing fashion!

Machete vs. oak tree; man, that makes my hand hurt just thinking about it.