The eastern exodus continues

Started by Jens, June 23, 2006, 12:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider_Bill

I went on a 5 week 6800 mile motorcycle ride this summer, decided that I was very tired of Florida, property Insurance 800% increases, taxes, traffic and aliens. Prior to the ride I knew I didn't want to be here but didn't have anyplace to go. Now I do.................
I looked at properties 5-15 acres some with houses already built some barren but the price was close to the total I paid for 69 acres and I wasn't really thrilled with the houses.
I'm planning something simple, 2000 sqft carrige/ranch type. great room in middle, master w/ bath on one side, 2 bedrooms and bath on other side. livingroom and kitchen all open. Full size basement with 10' ceiling height drive through. Porchs all around under the same roofline.
I'm really looking hard at ICF construction with sip roofs.
I will be doing most work myself with a as of this time unkown helper.

benevolance

I went to tellico plains last year...To get a 1971 twister Duster...They have a lot of off road rallies in that area.. a lot of wilderness....Nice side mountain towns...

Raider_Bill

Sure is beautyiful country! I'm looking forward to building a 4wd monster after the house is done.

Georgia

Did you build this house? I am building this home in NW GA. How did it come out? I am thinking of building this home without a contractor. I will subcontract all the jobs. I am thinking of spending $350K-$500K. Do you think it will be possible, considering that the average home price around here is under $200K. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jens

We finished most of the framing, and then everything got weird and stupid between us and the other parties involved...to make a long story short, we are no longer involved.  I would not recommend that anyone build this house.  To be brutally honest, it is probably one of the stupidest designs I have ever come across.  The whole thing is extremely wasteful, and IMO not even laid out well.  The architect got way too happy with the computer on this one, especially with the rooflines.  Another classic case of somebody penning something (or clicking anyway), and having no idea at all how to build it.  unequal roof pitches everywhere that are supposed to have the same soffit depth, and fascia line, staircases that are drawn in one spot, but don't give you enough room to build the staircase, walls that are supposed to be on top of the roof, a huge structural ridge over the garage that bears on a doorway, more engineered lumber than all the tea in China.  The budget on this house was supposed to be $950k, but I would be surprised if it gets done for anything under 1.5 million.  I don't think that there is a snowballs chance to have it built for $500k.  I would not even touch the framing of this house again for less than $150k, and that is labor only.  Even then, I wouldn't build it.  You couldn't pay me enough...ok, well maybe.  Just the OSB had to have cost about $10k!  Ours was an abortion from the minute the foundation was going in however, and you may have better luck.  In short, I say build a house half this size, for $500k, and have something well thought out, with good materials, that you can be comfortable in, and proud of.  Sorry to be a downer, but about the only good thing that came out of coming out here to build this house, was the coming out here part.  New England is cool daddy-o, rediculously sized houses, with pinched pennies suck.

Cheers
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

dcmyles

Quote from: Georgia on July 25, 2007, 08:59:15 PM
Did you build this house? I am building this home in NW GA. How did it come out? I am thinking of building this home without a contractor. I will subcontract all the jobs. I am thinking of spending $350K-$500K. Do you think it will be possible, considering that the average home price around here is under $200K. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I am also interested in building this home in Middle GA.  Did you decide to build and if so do you mind posting pics?  Thanks.

Chuck Adze

I would love to move further south (TN etc.), or even north west  (MT, Dakotas, WY) , but the wife didn't want too.
Maine is dead in places and dying in other areas.

Jens

Raider_Bill, how is the house coming?  We have been in Knoxville, TN for almost three years now...not too far from you.  Chuck, I hear you loud and clear.  Why doesn't the wife want to move?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Erin

Quote from: Chuck Adze on November 01, 2010, 04:38:40 PM
I would love to move further south (TN etc.), or even north west  (MT, Dakotas, WY) , but the wife didn't want too.
Maine is dead in places and dying in other areas.

The same is true of MT, Dakotas, WY.  Any state on the Plains, mine included, tends to be dying in rural areas, and only growing in the already-populated areas.
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1