Beam span for a pavilion roof

Started by marimbob, October 17, 2016, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marimbob

I didn't figure a 2x4 could be notched much, just not enough material there. I'd like to use the 2x4 rafters off of the trusses, is there another way to connect them to the beam?

John Raabe

You could use metal framing anchors or rafter clips to make the connection.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

marimbob

Thanks John!

Do you mean something like this?     Simpson Strong-Tie H1 Hurricane Tie Galvanized

Don_P

Look at their VPA connector, up, down and both lateral directions vs the hurricane tie, up and one lateral direction.

marimbob

Don_P

I've never used them so no experience to offer. Do compare them to just buying 2x6's and stock hurricane ties.

marimbob

Don_P

If I'm understanding, you plan to cut the bottom chord and webs out of existing trusses and just use the top chords. If so and if you need to pass inspection clear this first, they will probably have heartburn. Look at the grade stamps on top and bottom chords, this is often high grade material, the webs are often #3, low grade... blocking or firewood. Then, peeling those gang nail plates off is just about impossible. I've used the thin cutoff wheels in an angle grinder to slice just the plates right along the joints... wear gloves and glasses, you'll be making sharp edges and throwing lots of sparks. I'd leave the top gusset if possible.

marimbob

I would much rather cut the gang nail plates of then try to remove them! I don't currently own an angle grinder, though I'm sure I could borrow one, and my bench grinder would be a bit awkward : )  I might try punching them with a cold chisel. I know inspectors sometimes cringe at non-conventional materials. I'll have to check on that.