Taking the new picture window home

Started by peternap, December 07, 2007, 05:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Here's the new picture window for the barn. Almost time to put it in. Boy do I love that habitat store. I paid more to fill the truck up with diesel than I paid for the window. [cool]

Here's a picture of the blacksmith at Williamsburg showing me how to make the shutter hardware.

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Here is the type of latch he was forging (They sell the darn things for 40.00 :-\)

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

desdawg

Good looking window. The guy behind the smithy looks like he got too close to the fire.  ???
I may have to make a trip to Phoenix and check out one of those stores. Diesel prices suck. I think we have been sold down the river one more time.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

peternap

They have an arched window that I would love to have....but I'd have to design a new building just for it.
It's a pella, double pane, 15' wide by 22' high.
They said they'd give it to me for 160.00, brand new in the wrap.

It's about the smith. Forges give off a lot of UV. I've gotten sunburned in the middle of the night when I was forging something that I have to stay close to to watch the colors. Forge welding is fussy work and you have to watch for that watery look on the steel. Too cool and you get cold shuts and too hot you get a roman candle. Being that close makes you look like a full day at the beach.

Redoverfarm

Peter

You need to go to Fishersville (I-64 1 hr from Richmond) in the spring for a builders auction.  They have it twice a year.  Real savings.  Window like you bought about $20-40.  I remember one they had 8' semi-circular window top for $100.  Some lead crystal steel entry doors $50.  Years ago I bought (2) double 36" Anderson for $50.  All new stuff.  Alot of high end products for very low end prices.  Got two sets of pedestal sink and one piece decorative toilets that with the embeded ivy and silver trimmed  sets for $250 ( 125 a set).They have a web site that give schedules. www.PBAuctions.com

peternap

Thanks! I'll take a look at the site. You really are close to me. I grew up a few miles from Fishersville. If you've gone to the Frontier Museum in Fishersville, there is a Hex Barn there. It belonged to a farmer named Miller. Before he died and they chopped the place up, I hunted his farm nearly every day after school.

Sassy

Would love to go back east again & explore all the old colonial towns.  I have a friend in Connecticut who keeps inviting me over for a visit...   
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free