Copper Pipe Alternatives

Started by bayview, May 29, 2007, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

With the price of copper, I have been considering other plumbing alternatives.

Pex seems like a good alternative, but the price of fittings and special tools seems prohibitive.  Also I wouldn"t feel comfortable "clamping" pex pipe to the fittings.

CPVC seems the way to go.  High temp CPVC (180 degrees) and fittings seem inexpensive.  No special tools.  Cut, clean and glue.

Anyone have experience with CPVC for residential plumbing?
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

paul s

in my handy man business it is all i use,  i rip out galvanized and copper all the time and replace with CPVC

have lots of fittings in the box a big boxx lol

Kevin

I'm putting it in my cabin. seems the easiest to me.
Kevin

fourx

I used to right through my home except for the runs from the water heater. Works great, no problems.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

bayview

fourx:

What did you do differently at the water heater?
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

desdawg

The one advantage of pex that got my attention was the fact that if it freezes it will expand but not burst. When it warms up it returns to it's original size. If the place where you are putting it is occupied and heated all winter no problem. I was using it in a summer home that remains vacant most of the winter. When pvc freezes it splits from end to end and must be replaced.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Pex is good for hot too.  Our dealer here rents the tool to qualified individuals.  You can also use compression sleeves that do not require a tool.

I don't think I'd like the crimp or clamp method.  The Wirsbo/Uponor is the only one I know and like.  I have seen some of the others but not used them.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fourx

Quotefourx:

What did you do differently at the water heater?

I used copper for that- and got a plumber to do it. I did the rest of it- with a few false starts and a lot of ripe aussie swearwords- myself.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

Okie_Bob

CPVC is the cheapest way to go by far! I used it and am totally happy. Wanted to go with Pex but, cost was prohibitive, same for copper.
Okie Bob

Preston

QuoteThe one advantage of pex that got my attention was the fact that if it freezes it will expand but not burst. When it warms up it returns to it's original size. If the place where you are putting it is occupied and heated all winter no problem. I was using it in a summer home that remains vacant most of the winter. When pvc freezes it splits from end to end and must be replaced.

Do you happen to know the expected life from it in freezing areas?  I am intrigued by this!  Definetly seems better.

peg_688

They say it will last for a long time . New PEX is pretty tough stuff, our plumbers are using it now , doesn't look as neat / workman like , but it's cheaper than copper at least for a plumbing outfit, time is money once the learning curve is finished it is faster.

YMMV ;D

If I had a cabin I would SURELY PUT IN A LOW POINT DRAIN, and drain the place when leaving for extended periods of time .

A small leak from a washer hose , the line from the toilet to the shut off , a line under a  sink and I'm talking a pin hole that leaks for weeks or months will do a ton of damage.

Turn off the water , drain it and sleep better at home at night ;)  

glenn-k

It has been in use for special purposes for many years -seems they said around 30 or so .  I don't expect that freezing will hurt it or shorten it's life as long as it doesn't burst.  Pinning down exact guarantees is rough due to conditions but it seems to be the best.

The main thing that damages it is UV.  It must be kept out of the light.  I have seen UV damage exposed PEX in about 6 months.  For exposed use sleeve it or tape it with wide 10 mil tape.

If protected from UV it should last for an extremely long time.  Plastic doesn't noticeably deteriorate when protected from UV.  That is why it is a problem at landfills.

Preston

Thanks for the great advice!  I will definetly be using PEX in our home that we'll be building!

Kodakjello

Has anyone done any research on the health effects of using PEX or CPVC? Especially in the cases where hot water is run through them? I'm pretty sure I've read articles that found even heating food in the microwave in a plastic container causes chemicals to leak into the water.  This is my main concern about the new plastic plumbing systems since they seem to last longer and install more easily.

KJ

desdawg

QuoteHas anyone done any research on the health effects of using PEX or CPVC? Especially in the cases where hot water is run through them? I'm pretty sure I've read articles that found even heating food in the microwave in a plastic container causes chemicals to leak into the water.  This is my main concern about the new plastic plumbing systems since they seem to last longer and install more easily.

KJ

It is for that reason the CPVC is used rather than regular PVC pipe. CPVC has a different OD and only the correct fittings will work. There is even a different glue for CPVC although I have seen a universal glue available that is supposed to be usable on ABS, PVC and CPVC pipes. As for PEX I believe it has undergone all of the lab testing required. I see PEX in all of the new homes around here.