Building walls with panels

Started by fritz, May 31, 2007, 08:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritz

Folks, I know a few of you have built projects using your own on-site built panels.

In my dogtrot design, I have a high wall and a low wall.  The high wall ends up measuring 14' high and 24' long.  

What would the pros/cons be of building this wall  as six 4' wide sections, each 14' high?

One thought I have is using t111 siding as siding and sheathing.  that said, I'm thinking:

4' x 14'  2x6 panel .....then house wrap on the face and wrapped stapled to the 6" side of the  perimeter .  Applying the t-111 -- but off setting it 3/4 " so that the t-111 seams will be on the next 2 x 6 (not on the seam of the two panels)

Finally, z flashing in 4 foot sections where the t-111 top and bottom panel join.  Once up and square I can put the let in ledger into the pre cut cut in.

(The other option would be to use separate sheathing and siding... making the 4' x 14' panels... then wrapping the wall--- followed by the  ledger and siding.....

Thoughts?

glenn-k

I'd wait and do it standard platform framing.  Off by 1/8 inch on square could give you a couple inch problem at the top.  They would be very hard to stand without machinery.  Felt or house wrap at each section would have a leak area.

Hope I got the right picture and am thinking what you are meaning.

fritz

Yes, I think you have the right picture.  The leaking I was hoping to eliminate by having the t111 overlap that seam....

So this also brings me back to balloon vs platform

What I thought I understood was to balloon frame the tall wall and then tie it across to the lower 8' wall (14" span) with doubled 2 x 8 at 48" centers.

Platform framing (essentially a 6' secoind wall) on top of a standard 8' wall seems easier in some ways -- but there won't be a full "second floor" to work from and stand the top walk part up.

(Some days a  gable roof sounds easier!)

SO is balloon vs platform a matter of preference?  Or Engineering?

Thanks as always

jraabe

If you have a roof structure that resolves all the action on the roof into downward forces (a truss roof will do this), then there is no advantage to balloon framing and you might as well do platform framing using shorter studs and less involved connections.

Balloon framing and the tension ties such as the floor system you mention are much better at resisting the outward forces of some roof systems.

glenn-k

I forgot about your tall wall -- I'd still want to semi-balloon frame that wall for ease of construction and keeping things straight and strong.  Probably not a lot of outward force due to steep shed roof but pretty good wind loading. :)