Tape Measure

Started by Redoverfarm, November 11, 2015, 12:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Just in this past week I have had two person ask "why don't they rivet the end of the tape measure tight". Well for those who are not a aware I might be able to enlighten you as to why they leave it loose.  d*

The rivet end of the tape measure is meant to be left loose for a specific reasons.  If you measure the first inch of the tape you will discover that it is not a true inch.  It lacks approximately 1/16" of an inch.  That coincides with the thickness of the end cleat.  It is designed so that if you are measuring the width of a object (boards) the cleat will hang over the edge to enable it to hold while you expand the tape.  That slack in the rivet allows the tape to expand that 1/16" of an inch and get an accurate measurement so it does not include the thickness of the cleat.  Now if you are trying to measure the inside dimension that slack will disappear when the tape is pushed against an object so that now the thickness of the cleat is included in that measurement. That thickness may vary from Manufacturer to Manufacturer but the actual measurement shortage of that first inch is compensated by the thickness of the cleat.

Oh yeah don't forget the tape measure body normally has a it's dimensions stamped on the back which is used to get an accurate measurement of inside measurements by adding that amount to what is showing on the tape blade.  Yes it works a little better than bending the tape to a 90 degree position from the horizontal flat measurement position.

While I am at it you might notice a slot in the tape blade. This is used to hang over a nail or screw when you are measuring something that has no edge to hang the cleat over. 

Most carpenters or woodworkers already have this bookmarked in their minds but for those that do not here it is.   ;)

Did I mention it is a slow day.  ;D

astidham

Thanks, good info.
a couple weeks ago I bough a bosch laser tape...
good for long distance without a helper to hold the other end..
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford