Securing a remote job site?

Started by rwalter, May 15, 2005, 12:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwalter

So whats the best way to secure your job site to protect from theft and injuries? I hate to have either happen at my site.

glenn kangiser

If you can afford it and have them available, a shipping container is pretty secure, but if thieves want in bad enough nothing will stop them.  One contractor I know actually had his entire trailer stolen although it had wheels.  A hitch lock may have stopped that.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwalter

The first thing I am planning on doing is puting in a gate of some sort. Even if it is as simple as two posts and a chain with a padlock connecting them. I have a 8x8 shed with no windows that I can lock but I am more concerned about the lumber. I can carry my tools I need everyday to the site.

Amanda_931

Being there every day will help some (as opposed to being there every couple of weekends).  As will getting to know your "neighbors."  Even if they are a mile away.

(and take the keys to the tractor!)

Shelley

Have you got power?

Get some burglar alarm signs.  The ones that you stick in the ground and on your gate that say "Protected by Blah Alarm Company".  

Don't need the alarm, just the stickers/signs.  So says my friend the policeman.

I would be very leery of leaving lumber laying around.  That's just asking to be taken.  Maybe if you could band it some way....bicycle locks, expensive padlocks that couldn't be cut.

That's what we do when we ride our MCs in Mexico.  We chain at least 4 bikes together.  Makes for a heavy, awkward theft.  They're gonna have to work to get them.  

Least you can do is make it hard to rip you off.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Jimmy C.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS