What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Please do - the pix  :)  We had spaghetti squash with basil marinara sauce (organic from Trader Joe's) & mozzarelli cheese - quick meal - very good!  I added some hot peppers to mine. 

Just saw DH posted saying about the same thing I did, since I went to the trouble of typing this, I'll post it anyway  :P
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

I can just see you two sitting there with both of your computers competing to see who can type what was for dinner first.  :D  I'm taking the girls over to a friend's house today so that I can work on their room without them trying to "help".  It needs help, but not their kind of help.  Dinner sounds good... I am sick of eating junk and eating out... I'll be glad to be settled back into a cooking routine.  Reheating my friend's meatloaf last night dried it out a bit, so I decided to take whatever was left of it tonight and make it sort of like meatball stew.  Besides, DH is sick and stew or soup would be as good for him as anything else.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Change of plans as DH is still sick... very sick.  Had a 103 fever when he got home today.  I fed him some canned soup and sent him to bed after a dose of Nyquil.  I went to pick up my kids from my friend's house, and she'd made me sweet and sour pork and rice, and it was really tasty.  She said the marinade was 1/3 cup of maple syrup, 1/2 bottle of bbq sauce, and 1/4 cup spicy mustard, and then throw it in the crock pot with the meat... she'd also made some with venison, but they'd eaten all the venison by the time I got there.  I'll bet it was even better on the venison, but then I'm not a big pork eater anyway.  To complicate matters beyond the fact that DH is really sick, the movers called me at 5:30 this evening and told me that they want to move up our loading day to Sunday.  I told them only if they started after 2 PM because we had better things to do and we'd agreed on Monday and Tuesday.  However, it's probably best if they do load us Sunday and we get started driving Monday because the weather is supposed to get bad again Tuesday, I think. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight we're going to grab something while we're out after getting back from the doc and the tax office... probably Mexican food.  Then run grab a few things for the moving days and to eat on the road....I'm tired just thinking about it.  Would be glad if we were already on the road because then all the hard part is done.

Redoverfarm

HT haven't you figured it out yet.  The hard part in life is never done until someone else sets your stone.  ;)

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D Gee thanks, Red.  I meant only that I don't mind the unloading part of moving nearly so much as the anticipating getting gone!!! ;D

I am sick of snacking around and not eating much real food, too... my ankles were all swollen up this morning, so I need to cut back on the salty stuff, I guess.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, I figured out that crepes aren't good for my blood sugar, even if they're filled with meat and cheese and spinach... we ended up going out last night again because we had to get some stuff for the new house.  Three hours after we ate, my numbers were still sky high.   Doggone it, they tasted so good, too.

guess I'll soon be reduced to cabbage and meat.... :-\

glenn kangiser

hmm Cabbage and meat.  Yummmmm  [hungry]

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Taking DH out for Korean food tonight for his birthday.  Usually I would make Korean food at home, but just not up to it today.  Besides, this way everyone else can order what they want and I can order something with only meat and veggies... after seeing how crepes filled with meat work, I'm not too keen on trying white rice with anything.  I had plain yogurt with cinnamon for breakfast this morning thinking there was no way it would make my sugar go up... after all, no sweet in it, not loaded with carbs... well, two hours afterward, my blood sugar was still up and out of the range it should be.  I didn't FEEL bad like I did the other night after the crepes, where I suddenly was just wiped out like I'd run a marathon and my legs were nearly too shaky to walk...but it was still higher than it is supposed to be.  :(  Really hope that things return to normal after this ornery little one is born.  I can live without stuff like white rice, bread, and other sweets, but I really miss milk and whole grains and fruits.  Besides, I am so stinkin' hungry... all the time.  I don't usually have that problem.  Even things like tomatoes and carrots are making the sugar levels go up beyond what they should.  Those are some of my favorite things, and overall are really good for you.  I love sweet potatoes, too, but don't dare eat one right now.  In the mean time, please pass the collards...

Sassy

HG, I think sweet potatoes are not as bad as white potatoes in raising your blood sugar...  I would have to check that...

Homegrown Tomatoes

I had a few pieces of carrot with my stewed chicken (avoided the potatoes altogether, though) and also had collards and celery.  Sugar was still high.  Just that and a glass of water. :-\  Was so tired of being hungry that I decided to make a sandwich for lunch today.  I had the heels of a loaf of WW bread with mustard, cheese, and turkey,  and some celery sticks.  Two and a half hours later and my sugar is still up around  180.  I feel awful.  So far, it seems like meat and green veggies are the only things that don't raise my blood sugar.   ???  Think I have no choice for now but to totally elminate carbs, which really stinks.  I like meat and greens, but I like other stuff too.  Kind of takes the fun out of eating when you have to be so careful... I kind of understand better now why so many diabetics eat stuff they shouldn't.  It's probably more than just a matter of lacking willpower; they probably feel hungry a lot.  I sure am. 

Sassy

The Adkins diet is actually a good diet for controlling your sugar but is so restricted...  I feel for you - other than restricting the diet, exercise helps - fats & protein don't raise your blood sugar - one of our docs was always recommending that type of diet & our diabetics really did well...  would have to study up on why pregnancy makes it so much harder to deal with - I rarely care for women & almost never pregnant ones...  so don't remember all the details.  Here the Diabetic Assoc recommends lots of veggies, whole grains, fruits - all things that raise the blood sugar   

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, I don't mind eating a lot of veggies, but the meats are getting to me.  I like a steak now and then, but don't like to eat it all the time... tried lentils the other day and they also raised it out of range.  Who would've thought?  Also, I like veggies with fruits and nuts (like a salad with some apples and raisins or  whatever, and that doesn't help me much either, although balsamic vinegar doesn't seem to affect the blood sugar, even though it tastes sort of sweet.  So, breakfast this morning is going to be bacon and eggs....and some veggies.

Sassy

My sister, who is a nurse practitioner, said that gestational diabetes is really difficult to control - hopefully you can do it, your pretty motivated.  A lot of women end up going on insulin while pregnant...   :( 

Isn't it amazing that the very foods - eggs & bacon - that the docs have been telling us to stay away from are the foods you can eat when your blood sugar is out of line?   ???

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yep... it is weird.  Tonight we had fried chicken, salad, and steamed broccoli, and I even ate one girl scout thin mint cookie and was still well within range, but yesterday, I had an Indian taco, and even though I only ate part of the fry bread (and ooooh did it ever taste wonderful) it totally shot my blood sugar.  For lunch, I had an omelette, and would have been fine, but I decided to eat the toast that came with it, and even though it was 100% whole wheat, it was enough to send my sugar through the roof.  It has been really hard to stay within the range the doc wants me to stay unless I forego all grains and breads and fruits.  A few tomatoes don't seem to hurt, but if I eat very many, they also raise the blood sugar levels.   :-\  Only about ten more weeks (perhaps less?) to go.  I think this baby is going to be earlier than the original due date. 

Anyway, dinner was nice and filling.  I soaked the chicken in buttermilk overnight before frying it, and it was really delicious.  I don't make fried chicken very often, but every once in a great while it hits the spot.  I rolled it in mixed grain flour seasoned with garlic, oregano, paprika, and pepper, and frankly, I don't think the colonel himself could've done better. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

pot roast for dinner tonight...

Sassy

I made corned beef & didn't have cabbage so cooked rutabagas & the greens in the juice after the meat was done...  tasted pretty good.  Made mashed potatoes (the natural instant - didn't have any regular-the potatoes had gone bad)  Then today cooked some freshly picked asparagus & an artichoke...  don't know what I'll have for dinner - have to run some errands...

Homegrown Tomatoes

MMmmm... fresh asparagus... my daughter would be envious.  She always kept an eye out for it in the grocery store in Wisconsin and would beg for it and ask me to make her some cream of asparagus soup.  People would always look at us like some really bizarre oddity.  She's already itching for a garden, but don't know where we'd put one.  The front yard is better than the back in the way of sun, but the whole flower bed appears to be stuffed with cannas, and I can't complain because they're colorful and fairly maintainence free, and our lease says we can't add or make new plantings.   :-\

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight is Arkansas bacon, salad, and steamed veggies.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Arkansas bacon?  Sure.  It comes from Ralph's Meat locker up in Perkins, OK.  I don't remember why they refer to it as Arkansas bacon... looks and tastes the same as Canadian bacon to me, but it's good stuff, and Ralph's is the only meat locker I've ever been to and still wanted to eat meat.  (In college I had to go on tours of several meat processors as a part of being an ag major...I almost never wanted to eat meat for a while after the majority of them, but Ralph's was a small, clean operation, and they were really conscientious about the way they handled the animals and the meats.  Afterward,they let us do a taste test, and we were all able to partake, unlike the other factory-style places we toured where we couldn't even handle the beef jerky afterwards.  :P  That was one lesson in college that stuck with me, and so I still try to buy from Ralph's when I can because they're a small locally owned business, and I've seen the way they operate.)

glenn kangiser

Well -- Imagine my happiness to learn that the meat in the last HOT POCKETS I JUST FINISHED EATING [hungry] has been recalled.

By the way -- the re-callers said it was not their problem to see that the consumers were informed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2004276452_meat12.html

Homegrown Tomatoes

Lovely.  I hope you nuked the heck out of it!   :P 

Homegrown Tomatoes

What's on the menu for Easter Sunday?  Our whole family (extended in all directions) has always gotten together for Easter at Grandma's house, and the food is always amazing.  I plan on making some of the naan (since I shouldn't be eating it, I figure if I take it, it'll all get eaten, except maybe one little piece I can nibble myself) and some salad.  Seems like too many people bring desserts, so I'll be skipping that whole affair, but the salad should be OK. 

glenn kangiser

Easter Sunday is coming? hmm