Orwell's 1984 is here!

Started by Sassy(Guest), May 31, 2006, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy(Guest)

Amanda_931

There was that Tom Cruise movie--Minority Report--in which he gets told he'd probably like some product or other when he walks into a store--once while he is on the lam.  The photograph in the second link reminded me of that, and apparently they do have that in mind.

I'd been hearing references to l984 so often that I thought I'd go back and read it.

Instead (in addition, actually) I got the audio version (available at semi-reasonable cost from your friendly local bookstore, paired with Animal Farm--Borders an Independent consortium, probably Barnes and Noble, all have it under their imprint--don't think Audible has it, which is just as well, the old stuff they have tends to be very low fidelity, even if you download it at something that should sound pretty good).

While I felt like I'd like to go back and read bits--"the book" for instance--it was wonderful.  It's loaned out now, don't remember the reader's name--very good in a kind of breathless way, but Animal Farm is read by one of my favorite readers, Patrick Tull, not doing a perfect job this time.

Ahh,  it looks like if you can stand to read it on-line, you can get to the book from the first link.

glenn-k

An interesting new development -

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=20060616105407154

I am not against positive evidence of a crime being used in court to convict a true criminal, but how do we restrain rulings such as the above from being mis-used by power hungry individuals or groups of rogue individuals in the police force.  How do we keep any or all of us from becoming criminals for disagreement with anythnig.  Do you trust all of the police to act responsibly?  It only takes one with the wrong idea and once one gets started the rest jump in like sharks on a swimmer.  I have seen it happen twice personally and many times on the news - even the government controlled national and local media. :)  It is no longer required that you get access to a lawyer.  Any of us can be locked away with no rights to anything- thanks dubya.

Is this where we are headed?  Haliburton is already building concentration camps in the US.

http://www.sianews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2816

http://www.truthout.org/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/47/17936

What can we learn from history?  Keep your eyes open.  Maybe I should start a new topic--"Paranoid thought for the day"?

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/nazi_police_state.htm

Amanda_931

The law is kind of a game.  uhjyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyk, (thank you Hildegarde)

There are rules, everybody who's experienced--like the police--is supposed to know them, and play by them.  Only the cops don't want to have to.  

(Which is probably why Police/law inforcement is or was one of the three professions highest on the list for spouse abuse)

But my first thought on reading about that decision was that the cops are forever raiding the wrong house.  Does this mean that just in case, we're not allowed to defend ourselves if a dozen or so black-clad men who may or may not have police on the backs of their jackets enter our house brandishing guns?  

Sassy

I think Hildegard said it best...  :-?

glenn-k

Unfortunately it means that it would be very wise not to defend yourself and to crawl over and lick their Jack-boots clean if they ask because when they are in a group it is not wise to even think about ticking one of them off.

Fresno Swat got a new batch of machine guns one year.  They purposely went to a guys place where he had resisted them once before and raided him so he would protect himself.  When he did, everyone got to try out their new machine guns.  He may not have been a very good guy but this was a planned occasion- I guess you could say pre-meditated.  He was one of my old customers for buildings.

I used to work on police cars when I was a mechanic and got to know some of them quite well.  One told me they always carried a spare gun and bag of dope in the trunk in case they screwed up.  Might have to discover some evidence. :-/  This is a generalization but obviously happens sometimes.

Amanda_931

[size=36]Thank you Sassy.

H. von Bauncen
[/size]

glenn-k

Bloggers - Beware ---

What you don't tell can send you to a  Federal Detention Center.  

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1222780,00.html

http://www.sphere.com/search?partner=time&q=sphereit:http%3A//www.time.com/time/nation/article/0%2C8599%2C1222780%2C00.html

War has been declared on your rights to know and the rights of reporters to tell you.

Sassy

Sassy

"Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized. "

Great Britain

"Smith!" screamed the shrewish voice from the telescreen. "6079 Smith W.! Yes, you! Bend lower, please! You can do better than that. You're not trying. Lower, please! That's better, comrade. Now stand at ease, the whole squad, and watch me."  Orwell's 1984

Shouting Telescreens Announce United Kingdom Of Fascism
State launches psychological warfare as establishment manufactured Clockwork Orange mind control greases the skids for slavery - watch video below...

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Sassy

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/14/0334222

"A new technology is to be trialled in Debrecen Airport in Hungary that will involve tagging all passengers with high-powered RFID tags. From the Register article: 'People will be told to wear radio tags round their necks when they get to the airport. The tag would notify a computer system of their identity and whereabouts. The system would then track their activities in the airport using a network of high definition cameras. "[The tags] have got a long range, of 10m to 20m," said Dr. Paul Brennan of University College London's antennas and radar group which developed the tags, "and the system has been designed so the tag can be located to within a meter, and it can locate thousands of tags in one area at a given time."' The system is being touted for 'Improving airport efficiency, security and passenger flow by enhanced passenger monitoring.' BBC is also reporting this story, and brings up such hurdles to the project as 'finding a way of ensuring the tags cannot be switched between passengers or removed without notification.' As for any mention of the 'hurdle' of people's rights, the article vaguely and briefly states that 'The issue of infringement of civil liberties will also be key,' but doesn't bother to go into any pesky details."
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Amanda_931

I wonder how the Hungarians will respond to that.

Sassy

Amanda, don't know, but ran across a video that played on CNBC today  called Big Brother Big Business   Verrrrry interesting...  that link goes to some other videos, hopefully this will take you to the proper one - just look up the Big Brother Big Business - CNBC if it doesn't.  http://www.freepressinternational.com/

Sassy

Here's another one Accutracking for just $5.99 month you can know where your loved ones are at all times  :-/ :o

Amanda_931

We might want to know about them, but having them know about us????

Let's not.

glenn-k

Better than that --- anyone with a cell phone - any brand - can have a program downloaded without their knowledge that turns on the microphone, so big brother can listen to your most intimate moments or anytime they want to listen --- they may be listening to you now.  The only way to stop it is to pull out your battery.

It will transmit every word you say to anyone within talking distance without you turning it on.  Your cell phone can be programmed by them to turn on even if you have turned it off.  

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140191.html

QuoteFBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool

The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.

The surveillance technique came to light in an opinion published this week by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan. He ruled that the "roving bug" was legal because federal wiretapping law is broad enough to permit eavesdropping even of conversations that take place near a suspect's cell phone.

Amanda_931

Just at the moment the cell phone is in the truck.

Have fun listening!

They might have heard a really impressive howl from Cherty, her brother CB and Little Bob Porcellino earlier.

Might have been replying to the Coyotes.  Might have been a siren a mile or so off.  The inside dogs didn't pay any attention.

(Little Bob is the newest of the dogs, some Chihuahua in there, thinks Cherty Pie is his mommy, distrusts humans a lot--even me, unless I'm wielding peanut butter.  But he's soooo cute!)

glenn-k

Your dog names are so creative, Amanda.  You must spend hours trying to figure out a name when you get an new one.

Amanda_931

No, I just choose the obvious, or wait for them to tell me.  And I did have a No-Name cat at one stage.

I've had my share of dogs with really common names--Daisy, Buster, (Little) Bob, (Little) Starr, Gabe.

Cherty may not have been so obvious--our chert is a light terracotta color, but once you've met her that's the only name that works.  But her brother's original name has been supressed because he's not like that at all.

glenn-k

I had a dog - the tip of his tail was white -- his name was Tippy.  We had another with 4 white feet - his name was Boots.  Had another one - a Dalmation - her name was Spot -another - liked to roll in dead animals - her name was Stinky - another -- liked to eat dog manure - his name was $h*thead, and even another --  a Chihuahua with a broken back - we taped sticks to her legs to slide on - her name was Sled Dog. (Note that she never seemed to be in pain so I didn't put her away.)

If they came with names we let them keep them .  Based on the above, that seems like it is a wise move.  :-/

All in all I think 1984 was written by an insider also. :-/

Amanda_931

Snipperkins (feline) has a little white snip on her head--she went through Snip, Snips, and even Snipper before we settled on Snipperkins.

She was one of the animals I was out chasing at 10:00 last night when it was 10 degrees F out.  Trying unsuccessfully to get her in--the prospect of food this morning brought her inside.  Cherty was curled up in the middle of the driveway, so she came inside happily.

But not Little Bob.  I'm not even sure where he spent the night.  But it didn't get much colder.  And he's fine this morning.

Daisy the dog was originally named Honey.  I did change that.  And she was Daisy Lee, the allegedly mostly lab, for all her days.  She was not a dog to be named Honey, even if she was a sweetie.  

The non-governmental employees in 1984 seemed to be able to live semi-normal lives, one singing as she hung wash on the line.  They might even have been able to have pets.  Which the government types, living in huge high-rise apartment buildings didn't seem to.

glenn-k

Just came across this bit of main stream media info.

UPI ---- http://thunderbay.indymedia.org/news/2004/04/13189.php

Now they will be able to track me with their handheld computer right down to the exact cardboard box I am sleeping under.

Amanda_931

It was picked up by ThunderBay indymedia on an April 2.  

QuoteApril Fools! DOH!
by Robert Glass-cock Monday, Aug. 30, 2004 at 8:58 PM

He also wondered why nobody else had picked up the story.

;)

glenn-k

Thanks for the update, Amanda.  I guess I'm still safe for a little bit. :)

I found this trying to see where Thunder Bay was .

MountainDon

Love dogs! Here we again... diverging from topic.... We are involved with a local animal rescue organization. We do dogs, allergic to cat dander. We do puppies; get them in batches/litters of 4 to 6. They are all so lovable, so eager to be loved. I try to name them all, but after 130 in 2 years it gets to be a task, start repeating. Got a photo album of each and every one, otherwise I'd never be able to sort one out from the other.