Three Little Pigs

Started by Redoverfarm, April 10, 2011, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Not the fable that you were expecting.  Although they do not build a house they are into building families.   ;D  Went and picked up the childrens 4-H/FFA projects today.  Increased from last year to three.  This year the daughter is elgible to show as well.  So 1-show pig each and 1 to split for the ham/bacon sale.

Getting them use to using an automatic feeder.

Yes if I would let her she would be right in there with them.

StinkerBell

I know that one is not suppose to getattached...But how can one not get attached to cute piglets?

peternap

Quote from: StinkerBell on April 10, 2011, 05:57:05 PM
I know that one is not suppose to getattached...But how can one not get attached to cute piglets?

They become big hams! rofl
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

John, I still say you need to start your own version of the Walton's. I feel like I've watched your family grow up on the net!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Homegrown Tomatoes

Pretty girl!  My daughter has those exact same boots for doing her chores, and she is begging for pigs, too.... she says she wants to learn to smoke her own bacon because she loves bacon so much.

NetHog

muldoon

homegrown, the power of bacon is strong.  Seems like you need some piglets right quick. 

If you cannot acquire them locally, I would be happy to trap some piglets for you, but that would require a trip down to Fayette county to pick them up.   Either way, you need to accept the power of bacon and the draw it possesses. 

Red - those are some good lookin oinkers, and a great lookin lil girl.  Fantastic stuff. 

Sassy

Quote from: NetHog on April 11, 2011, 08:24:02 PM
Did someone call?

heh

I agree w/the others, beautiful daughter & yes, bacon is good!  Can only imagine how good the home cured/smoked bacon must be! [hungry]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

peternap

How do you keep them from rooting under the pen?...Or is it buried?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: peternap on April 12, 2011, 09:29:18 AM
How do you keep them from rooting under the pen?...Or is it buried?

Peter yes Steven trenched the perimeter fence 6" deep and buried the panels.  Don't worry much about the little fellows but once they reach 325-350 that is the real test.  But in the past years it seems that is sufficent.

glenn kangiser

Looks like she is having fun.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Last night was the annual 4-H/FFA Fair for Market Hogs.  This was my daughters first year raising a market hog.  The beginning weight in April was about 40# and it weighed in at 225 last night.  My son's hog weighed in at 270# .  The day begin at 6:30 AM loading them and hauling them to the Stock Yard where they were weighed and then washed.  This was essential as they were covered in mud from the pen at the house.  Afterwards my son gave them a haircut and then washing again. Then to the show arena at 12:00 noon and then sales arena at 7:30PM.  

Bathing

Haircut

Showing

Selling

We still have one left which will be butchered in October and later become their exhibit in January when they show the cured Ham and Bacon.  The highest priced animal sold was a 1300# white faced steer that went for $4,750.  Both my son and daughter were satisfied with the end result and are planning ahead for next year.  Not real sure Dad is though. ;)

Homegrown Tomatoes

My daughter is still on her bacon bent... think I oughtta just break down and get her one? 

NM_Shooter

Wow... they put on that much weight in 5 months?  Those are good looking hogs too. 

Kudos on getting your kids muddy, especially your daughter.  I've always believed that the finest ladies aren't afraid to get a little mud on the tires.  I've done my best to grow my own daughters that way. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Gary O

Americana, down home family, soil on yer hands, it don't git no richer.
Sure wish you guys were in the majority.
Thanks so much for showin' how it should be....and still is.....places

Gary O'
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on August 29, 2011, 08:21:00 AM
My daughter is still on her bacon bent... think I oughtta just break down and get her one? 

Sounds like a good idea.  Just locate the pen aways from the house. ;)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Gary O on August 29, 2011, 09:52:31 AM
Americana, down home family, soil on yer hands, it don't git no richer.
Sure wish you guys were in the majority.
Thanks so much for showin' how it should be....and still is.....places

Gary O'

Thanks. Wouldn't have it any other way.