Block wall no no's.

Started by PEG688, May 25, 2007, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Here you have  old block building , currently a US post office , built some where early 60's or so.

No rebar , or tie to the slab , little,  or no,  cell fill, little or no tie metal / rebar,

Shifted the wall out for around 9'.

Another example of nice old wood ,

Safe for the weekend , well , unless someone else miss's the brake peddle  :o ::)

We'll see if John recognize's the place  ;D

No he wasn't the one who hit it , ;D at least I don't think he was  :-/ Come to think of it I never asked who hit it.

But had thsoe cell been filled ,and some rebar placed at the slab level a little less damage would have be done , no one was hurt in the car or post office so maybe more give was good in this case. ;)

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

So somebody nailed the Greenbank PO!?  :-X

Those block walls could use an upgrade at any rate. I wonder if this will just be working on the damaged part or will it be part of a larger rebuild?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Wow - that's a relief.   A car hit it.

I thought you did that with your little crowbar, PEG. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteSo somebody nailed the Greenbank PO!?  :-X

Those block walls could use an upgrade at any rate. I wonder if this will just be working on the damaged part or will it be part of a larger rebuild?

Yup so old dude missed the brake peddle , and just the damaged part will be worked on .

They maybe should put in a couple of few bollards ;D  

PEG688

I thought you did that with your little crowbar, PEG. :-/

I coulda if I wanted to  ;)

glenn kangiser

Believe it or not -- I bumped a wall with my crane setting beams on a Foodsco Store and knocked about 14 out of the stupid things.  I mean bumped -- not hit ---- and they just fell right out.  Grout and rebar is what keeps these things together.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteBelieve it or not -- I bumped a wall with my crane setting beams on a Foodsco Store and knocked about 14 out of the stupid things.  I mean bumped -- not hit ---- and they just fell right out.  Grout and rebar is what keeps these things together.

Ya they blow over really easy before the floor / roof  is put up as well.

We've had lots of questions about block wall / foundations so this was my first post about what little I know about them .

They are cheap , thats true , generally there reasons things are cheap , and not used often .

Now a lil 2 or 3 block high foundation might be ok , I'd still need to see rebar , filled cells etc before I'd trust one but a 6 or 8  foot wall / foundation , nah not gonna do it!

glenn kangiser

Nearly all of the block wall buildings I work on are grouted solid in all cavities.  Seems I only remember a couple that had any hollow spaces - one of them was older.

desdawg

I saw something similar at a restaurant recently. Apparently someone thought they needed a drive through for take out orders.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Amanda_931

Friend of mine took out a corner of the new addition to the factory I worked in with a forklift.  (I took out a roll-up door or two).  Stand-up reach trucks are fun! (you can buy them with steering that goes either way--they recommend not mixing the two types)