Siding on gable and foundation block

Started by jb52761, May 28, 2007, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb52761

Hey all...haven't posted or responded in a while...busiest time of the year for me job-wise, I work in a large garden center and manage a swimming pool....anyhoo, I want to get siding up this week on the cabin, got the money to do it...I was planning on nailing #15 roofing felt onto the front gable onto the osb, then run furring strip on top of that, then nail on the carsiding, or cedar, (not sure yet), onto the furring......is this plan ok ya think ??? then on the foundation block, attatch the felt onto the block, then furring, then siding.....ok, yes, no, maybe ????........JB :-/

glenn kangiser

Hey JB.  Careful with that non-responsive stuff.  Where my wife works it would get you a good jolt with the defibrillator.  I was thinking of having her try it on me just for kicks. ;D

I have gone more to 30 lb felt per a recommendation by a roofer and my experience with 15 lb.  Much more substantial.  Cost is about double though if I recall correctly and possibly the 15# is all you need.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

How you gonna attach felt to cement??  :-/

The first part sounds fine a rain  wall type of deal , I've  never done on a that whole house but the  theroy is fine .

On foundations I have done that , it can be a PITA  IF the foundation is like most , not true / straight >:(, so you may have to decide / adjust the two corners first then pull a few strings (use 1/2" spacers to hold the string off the strips and  a spacer to adjust your stock back to the string) and then fir the wall out.

Unless your in a very wet area like coastal Or. or Wa., I'd think a coat of asphalt emulsion on the foundation wall then the firing stripe ( use P/T  stock ) then your siding would be fine .

G/L PEG    
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

15 lbs felt is for sidewalls, 30 lbs is for roofs under shingles / comp . or metal.

Some guys use 30 lbs on the walls , it a PITA , heavy,  makes lumps , hard to get corner brds on true , etc. Rarely is it needed , 15 lbs will do the job in most areas , there are of course exceptions.

And don't think because you have felt under you can do a sloppy job , the felt is back up only , on a roof or on a wall , you SHOULD NOT BE COUNTING ON THE FELT to do the  job of the roofing or the siding.

If felt if exposed to UV it breaks down quickly , it needs to be protected from the sun.

glenn kangiser

So much for me and my chainsaw.  Guess I better straighten up my act and do some quality building.  :-/

Thanks for the added insight, PEG. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jb52761

Thanks all....sounds like a plan...I am going to try to adhere the felt onto the block first with some GOOD stuff I've been using called Power Grab...like liquid nails but I like it better, then right away I am planning on using one of those tools that you hit with a hammer to drive nails through the furring and into the block...a construction friend says that will work fine....

jb52761

.....and I think I might go with the asphalt paint-on coating like mentioned above....be just as easy I guess and serve the purpose.......

PEG688

Quote.....and I think I might go with the asphalt paint-on coating like mentioned above....be just as easy I guess and serve the purpose.......

It will be easier than impossible  ;D

Which is what glueing on felt with liquid nails / *****what???  expanding foam Good stuff  :-/ :-? ****   will be close to  ;D ;D

Huummm do you work with my boss when you figger out these ideas  ::) ::) ;D ;D of how to do something :-? :-? :-/ :'( :'(