Is this a dumb idea? Skid Steer related

Started by skiwest, May 15, 2007, 05:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiwest

I have to lift some timber frame roof trusses on to the roof and I idea I've been toying with which I've just done some calcs to see if works.    Use my skid steer as a crane base.  They make booms for skid steers but I was thinking of getting a steel beam ( by calc a W6x15) putting between forks ( I've got some 5700lb forks ) .  Now the beam will be 24ft long.  I think I'm ok with tip weight as the rated capcity of Gehl is 3600lb, weight 9500lb.  Load of truss is about 800 lb , allowed for 900lb.

Use it for the month or so and then sell it back as scrap.

glenn kangiser

A W6x15 that long will be very limber - like spaghetti --  :)

As a minimum I would run a chain from the out board end back to each side of the top of the fork mounting area -preferably spread a ways.  This will put the chains in tension and the beam in compression.  Beam would weigh 360.

900 lbs x 26' to wheel center = 23400 foot lbs.

3600 lbs x 3 feet to wheel  center = 10800 ft lbs

That is my rough guess way of estimating that I think you may tip over but I may be wrong. :-/  I'm not an engineer. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

If this works, a pipe may be more stable also - the beam could fold sideways with the weight - the pipe is not as likely to.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I think I would be inclined to hire a cherry picker for a day and be done with it. JMO
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

That sounds like a pretty good plan, desdawg.  I always try to think of what I might be able to do sometimes without thinking that an hour or two of the right machine might get the job done fast without damaging anything. :-/

skiwest

Was thinking was adding a chain or cable to limit deflection.  I did the sizing just based on stress.  Deflection woould be about 8" which is a lot but on 24' .  The advantage would be could use as a sky hook for light loads after that.

Tipping I'm going to have to think about that some more.  The rated capacity is 1/2 the tipping load.  So will have to do it in a way , the calc, that tips with 7000lbs in  bucket and ok with the arm at 45deg.  If straight out I'm sure it would tip.  I'm thinking I would have arm at 45deg and hoist into position.

builderboy

I'm with desdawg. Bite the bullet get the gear. I'm embarrased to think how much time I've burned "saving money" before I figured that out. (ok so I'm slow)

MountainDon

I'm with builderboy, who's with desdawg, who's with.....

I too have to admit to developing overly complicated "what-if" solutions to problems/tasks that could have been better served safely with doing it the right way with the right equipment. There are many times I was successful, too. But those were usually simpler tasks with less danger to personnel and materials if something had gone wrong.

JMO
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Keep in mind that I am a professional.  I tipped an 80' manlift over when I was 68 feet up in the air. ::)

I know about these things.  

I also tipped a 30' manlift over when I was 20 feet in the air.   :o

Actually, neither of them stopped until they hit a wall.   :-?

Haven't tipped my crane clear over yet.  Nearly tipped a 35' forklift over though. :)