Planning for plumbing.

Started by Oljarhead, September 23, 2009, 02:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oljarhead

So, if you just aren't sure what you plan on doing becuase that's the way you are then how about this:

I'm thinking of stubbing out some plumbing in my deck so that when the time comes to change it to a cabin I won't have to rip anything up.  My thought is to take a drain sized pipe and supply pipes and stub them through the floor where I would install a sink and shower.  Then take the stubs and under the deck connect all the drains together (3) and run them into a greywater drain system and then forget them.

What are your thoughts?

One reason to do this is that I have no idea how long it will be before plumbing is a consideration but I'd like to make it easy when it comes into play.  Also, I plan to insulate the deck so that when it becomes a floor of a cabin it's good to go.  So, having the plumbing stubbed out early will mean I won't have to tear it up later.

Of course, inspectors won't like this but if you've read my other posts you know I'm not real sympathetic to them anyway :P

MountainDon

An alternative would be to use a small panel overlay under the insulated deck in the area the pipes would eventually be placed. That would be an easy to remove or when the pipes need to be installed.

On the other hand I see nothing wrong with what you propose, as long as they do eventually get used and not just sit there being tripped over.

I'm not clear on one thing; are there going to be some inspectors doing their thing, or are they not being sent invitations. I never did.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Oljarhead

Once the deck is built (which is ok without a permit in most counties) I will probably come up with some crazy idea to put walls on the deck -- if I do it is unlikely invitations will be going out ;)

MountainDon

What I've found here is that if one's building site is not visible to the general public you can get away with building just about anything if you are doing it all yourself or hiring subs under the table. If visible from a public road permitless building is like hanging out a sign that says "bite me". It also helps to have the only neighbors being non-compliant in the permit department.  ;D ;D 

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Oljarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on September 23, 2009, 02:59:10 PM
What I've found here is that if one's building site is not visible to the general public you can get away with building just about anything if you are doing it all yourself or hiring subs under the table. If visible from a public road permitless building is like hanging out a sign that says "bite me". It also helps to have the only neighbors being non-compliant in the permit department.  ;D ;D  

;D ;D

I've decided that it's too easy to get to the floor with the 'lift' (4x4 talk *chuckle*) that I've got.  So didn't punch anything through.

And yes!  If I weren't more then two miles from the nearest paved road and if my easement road didn't look like an offroad trail, and if my neighbors weren't all un-permitted builders I'd probably not do this -- but I figure you can't see my place from the road and you'd have to go through a few other places first many of which look like very unsafe 'shacks'!