Joist Hanger/ledger

Started by GW, May 08, 2008, 04:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 11, 2008, 09:03:47 PM
GW sorry I wasn't much help but I was working on the assumption that you were sticking with the diagram provided and was looking for ideas to stay with the plans provided. It would necessitate dropping the ledger 1-1/2" .  Pegg will probably correct me but I could see an advantage to allowing your joist to extend into the wall cavaty after sitting on the let in ledger and nailing onto the top of the joist with your sill plate.  Be sort of like giant lower collar ties.

Seems to me it would make a much stronger building also. The drawing seems strange they did not tie the floor into the walls since it uses up the wall space anyways? Seems the hangers would not be as good as putting the floor into the wall and tieing the plywood/joists into the strength of the building. Mark

John Raabe

I agree, I see no advantage of this strange system over a standard platform framed floor sitting on top of the wall studs. The roof trusses resolve the outward forces. Tying the trusses, floor joists/rim and wall studs together with well nailed off structural sheathing will go a long way towards structural stability.

Forget the hangers.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

GW

I emailed the company that produced the plans, here is their reply. "First you apply the 2x10 ledger board onto the wall and then hang the joist hangers off the side of it.  Hope this helps."

John_C

email them back. Tell them that with the use of hanger part # sk-yh-ook  the ledger can be completely eliminated simplifying construction and reducing costs. Hope that helps [frus]

John Raabe

You don't want to do what they are suggesting - surface mounting the ledger to the studs. That relies on the shear of the nails in the ledger and into the studs. If you do a ledger, cut it into the studs so it is physically supported by wood.

Either get hangers such have been mentioned before that hang from the top plate (and eliminate the need for the ledger), or do standard platform framing (also suggested before).

John C - where do we get those fancy skyhook hangers? ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John_C

They are only available from the manufacturer    Crooke Bros.