Outdoor Stairs?

Started by StewB, February 08, 2008, 03:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StewB

I am going to be building my cabin about 40 ft above a river.  The hill is fairly steep so I am thinking a set of stairs would make the many climbs a lot easier.  I have looked up lots of info on buidling stairs and understand how to calculate the number of steps ect.  My questions is, how do you figure the rise and the run when all the only measurement I can make is the length of the slope.

MountainDon

Is the slope too steep for any kind of path with switchbacks, etc? That might be easier than actual stairs with all the required posts, handrails, etc.

Building good stairs would be a challenge on something like this. If it's too steep to walk it may be difficult building them.

Can you approximate the slope of the hillside. Good stairs will be at an angle of about 35 - 36 degrees. Are you envisioning a straight run up/down the slope?

Do you have pictures?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Run a string line down the slope and attach it to stakes at the top and bottom. Set the string to be an average of the slope excluding any bumps or dips. Use a level and a framing square to measure the rise/run from the string.

StewB

No pictures.  It's still winter up here and the river is frozen.  It's a jet boat access only situation.   Hope to be on site mid to late March.  I sort of hoped to build a set in one straight shot.  The hill is not realy high enough for a switch back and the ground gets slippery easy as it is soft/muddy earth on the slope.  When I get on site I am going to try and measure the rise and run.  Just not sure how yet.

StewB

ScottA, thats the idea I was looking for.  Great answer.  Thanks very much.

StewB

Great pictures, thanks very much

CREATIVE1

Interesting.  We need to re-do the half log steps on a very steep incline going down to the creek.  We are really not supposed to be developing the creek area, even though we own it well past the other bank.  Any suggestions other than the half logs and a tree limb railing that might blend a bit and not bring out the gendarmes?

MountainDon

I would think that building a path down to the water using techniques like the Forest Service uses might sneak in under the radar. I'm not sure off hand about recommended grades but maybe I can find something.

Generally they avoid straight down the slope paths by using switchbacks. Path design has similarities to designing/building to keep water out of your building. Think like water. Then try to divert and spread out the water over the terrain, rather than have it run directly down a path. Use logs or PT timbers to retain soil.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Here's something that might help if you want to build a trail without getting into staircases, etc.

Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook 2007 Edition

It's all in online form

CREATIVE1

Thanks, MountainDon. Neat publication.  I've saved it and will print it later.

Other inspirations include Japanese garden design.  Their artistic use of wood, stone, and bamboo is awe-inspiring.