A frame cabin

Started by chad, September 03, 2010, 12:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad

I was thinking of building an A frame cabin,Can anyone help me out with the pros and cons of this style of cabin.There is not too much info. on them besides some people think there not worth building or their the best way to go.Any help would be appriciated. ??? 

bayview

You may want to check out EaglesSJ amazing A-Frame build at . . .

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9259.0

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Squirl

A frames have positives and negatives.  One of the best positives I can think of is shedding snow.  One of the well repeated negatives of some A frame builders and owners on this site has been square footage loss.  You loose a lot of space in each of the corners of the triangle.  A positive is you roof and side the house in one shot.  A negative is you need to add extra insulation because your walls are also your roof.

archimedes

They look pretty, but I think they are a huge waste of space.  I've never built one myself,  but I would imagine that getting those A frame roof rafters up and plumb is no small feat,  esp. for a DIYer.  Others have done it though.

Why are you interested in an A frame in particular?
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Alasdair

I lived in one for about a year and quite liked it. Yes, there is some wasted floor space but these spaces can be used for running services and storage. I am also in the camp that happens to think they just look [cool]!

Here is a link to one next door to mine with some floor plans and pictures.
http://www.communitywoods.org/upld/Forest%20Worker%20Housing.pdf

MountainDon

I believe A-frames are one of those love/hate, take it or leave things.

There is something about the appearance of an A-frame in the woods that is attractive to me. However things stop there, for me.

Positives, to my mind
--the 'look'
--snow, although if there's a lot it will pile up along the sides
--should be very strong structurally
--storage spaces if the acute angles along each side are used

Negatives, to my mind:
--you must accept/love lofts or upstairs quarters, I don't
--the interiors of too many I've seen are like tunnels
--windows only on the ends, unless special provision is made for side windows and/or doors. That complicates construction. Doors/windows on the sides can be -problematic if there is lots of snow
--very tall chimney runs, more than likely
--lots of steep roofing
--loss of usable everyday space because of the usual A-frame construction.
--have to build vertical walls inside anyhow for cupboards and wall cabinets, hanging pictures on the walls, grandfather clocks, big screen TV's and the like.

A-frames are a lot like many types of architecture. Oh, that's back to the love/hate, thing.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Care must be used in erecting the A-frames. At least one person has been unlucky in this. I don't recall all the details but one slipping/falling A-frame led to a domino effect.  With a proper thought out plan this should be little more of a problem than erecting any other building.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

I once played with a modified A-frame design. I had some partially developed ideas but have no idea where the sheets are or if I even have them still. Basically one side wall had a large 'open' section. It involved the use of large beams to reduce the number of rafters that would go down to the ground. There was a window wall section in one side. Does the below rough sketch convey what I mean. I ended up thinking it was more work than what I wanted to invest.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Alasdair on September 03, 2010, 09:56:22 AM
I am also in the camp that happens to think they just look [cool]!

This is the main factor in choosing a style.  To heck with the masses.  Build what you like!

I'm not an A-frame advocate, just because I think they have some difficulties in building.  But consider the pros and cons and go with your gut.  Either way, we're going to need lots of pictures.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

chad

Holy moly you guys are on it fast and giving me some awesome advice.I checked out eagles a frame and it looks great!I was thinkin about the pros and cons that don said.some i thought of and some i diddnt.The previous cabin was 30 years old with very little pitch on the roof,Then this past winter with about 4 feet of snow collapsed the cabin in.So my first instinct was to build the most peaked roof i could build for the money.And then hopefully pass it on to my soon to be born son.But having said that and reevaluating it,I asked my wife wich one she liked better the a frame or the 16 by 24 michigan cabin except with one loft instead of two.We like the vaulted living room look. She shot down the a frame and when we do build were going with the 16 by 24.It should just fine for the pitch on the roof,Being in pa.  Thanks again for all you guys helping :) [cool]   

ben2go