salvaged barn siding

Started by june, September 20, 2008, 12:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

june

I got such good help with the roof question, I'll ask about the siding.  I have removed t&g, beaded, siding from an old barn.  It had Virginia Creeper on it which sticks on with tenacious little pads.  I tried a wire brush on my drill, but that is too rough on the wood.  Now I'm scraping with a flat blade.  The plant tissue is almost a part of the wood.  Even scraped off, its "footprint" is still apparent.  Will paint adhere to it? 

What is the best way to fasten the boards to the shed? 

Redoverfarm

June I would say that once it has had an oppurtunity to dry out after removed it should be OK.  In regards to attaching the T&G you would do it the same as any T&G in that you nail through the tounge base at a 45 degree angle into the framing.  A air nailer is best with a 2 to 2-1/2 finish nailer.

Just curious but was the boards previously painted?  If not why not leave it the natural weathered look.

june

They have a mostly long-gone coat of white paint on them.  They were surface nailed and not nailed into the edge, which is why I could salvage them fairly easily. 

Redoverfarm

June if they have weathered alot then I would say they will really soak up the paint.  As far as nailing them you would probably safe either way if you were going to paint them.  What were you going to use them for in their afterlife anyway?

PEG688

Humm so beaded T&G siding??  First let's see what you really have,

A type of drop siding :

Generally used as a exterior siding.

A type of bead board :

Generally used as a porch ceiling , or a interior wall paneling.

So which one is your more like? Or can you post a photo of some of the actual materials?

Along with how you'll be installing it, vertically ? Horizontally?

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Redoverfarm

Peg that ceiling T&G is what I am putting up.  I am not sure whether it is a set up option or what but mine has a 1/16"H X 1/16"W raised portion on the tounge side(face) next to the bead that prevents the tounge from seating into the grove completely.  Makes it intresting in nailing without the nails showing with only having 3/16" to nail through and not split the tounge doing it.  Ended up using a pin nailer w/1-5/8" 18 gauge. Finish nailer was too large.

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 20, 2008, 02:13:24 PM

Peg that ceiling T&G is what I am putting up.  I am not sure whether it is a set up option or what but mine has a 1/16"H X 1/16"W raised portion on the tounge side(face) next to the bead that prevents the tounge from seating into the grove completely.  Makes it intresting in nailing without the nails showing with only having 3/16" to nail through and not split the tounge doing it.  Ended up using a pin nailer w/1-5/8" 18 gauge. Finish nailer was too large.

What or where did you install as? Siding?? Paneling? Ceilings ??

It sound like June may be using her's as siding?? 

Redoverfarm

Mine is for ceiling and some paneling as well. 

june

My boards are more like the illustration of ceiling boards, but not as fancy.  It has simple V bead in middle, and the joints form a V.  The width, minus the tongue, is 5 1/8".  I'll install it vertically, like it was on the barn.  I'd post an image, but my camera died, and I haven't replaced it yet. 
June

PEG688

This is on a shed , a real shed? Not a Aussie or Kiwi shop / shed right?

I'd say installed vertically that blocking should be use at least 2 ' OC and you should blind nail it. ( Nail on a angle thru the tongue) face nail it where required , generally the first and last boards need face nailed.

Vertical T&G is a poor siding if your in a wind blown rain area, have short eaves ( less protection to side walls). It tends to leak and a rain screen wall application would be best.

But IF it's on a shed , no insulation in the walls ( which holds water and promotes mold growth in said insulated wall cavities) it may be OK.   

I'm assuming your talking about as siding, you didn't really say that I don't think  ???, but you talk about it like it was used as siding so I'm assuming that's your end use as well.

G/L PEG         

june

Yes, I'm building a garden shed for lawnmower and tools.  It is pole structure, 2" oc horizontal ?perlins, no insulation.  I'm intending to use the boards for the same purpose they were used on the barn from whence they came.  They held up quite well for many many years on the barn, except at the bottom where weeds and vines kept them wet.  Looking at the pictures here, it occurs to me they might have a better purpose, but I don't have another need for them right now, and no place to store them; barn is being demolished.  All they cost me was a lot of ladder climbing, wasp assault, old hay dust in my lungs, and such, and I don't want to spend money on this shed.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to get an old sliding door and the track and hangers off of the barn.  I thought I'd buy them, until I priced new ones. 
Thanks!