roof

Started by dogneck, August 14, 2008, 07:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

I just read Redoverfarm about the titanium felt and metal roof.   I am building a 14x24 addition to rear of house.   I have just finished the floor and will start the framing.  I was going to put a fairly flat roof.  The metal roof, I guess should have 2/12 pitch at minimum.   To do this I would have to have one wall about 2' higher than the other.  should I just build that wall with 10' 2x4,  or try to build up the top caps.   Or should I not try a metal roof, but something else.   As I read over the enchilda plans,  I am unclear on the whole roof, insulation and venting.   Help???

Redoverfarm

John I am not familar with the plans you are using but if there was anyway to make your roof at least 3/12 I would do it. Use the longer studs rather than building up the top plate.  In your area you do get some snow maybe not to the extent that I do but any less pitch would leave the possibility of ice dams and water backing up the roof.  Are you mating the new addition to the house?  Can you shed off the existing roof?  Be nice if you could post a picture of your project to be able to better see what you are doing and solutions might come easier. 

I went back through your treads to try to figure out what you were doing but I am still unsure.  You might try to keep all your post under one title and just go into the details of each phase in that post just by replying to your own post.  At least that way you would have easy access to the info rather than subtitled them.  Just a suggestion. 

Sorry I missed you. Was going to lend a hand but your's was busy with the bow ;D

dogneck

I'll see if I can upload some photos, but i'm not certain how to do that here.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

If you have the Enchilada plans you have some good information on the shed roofs. See sht. 1 of the Little House plans (these are in the white envelope), "Typical Cross Section" where the venting is called out in the blocking. If you want to seal up the cavity with spray foam you can eliminate the vent space and use solid blocking. Then you can fill the entire rafter cavity with insulation.

If you can don't do as low a roof as I show there (but it has worked for many years on our cabin).

You could do the 2:12 pitch that you suggest (3:12 would be even better). Put down a sealed 90# roll roofing on the sheathing and then install your metal roofing. The real waterproof roof will be the roll roofing and the metal is the physical & UV protection. Check with who ever makes the metal roofing as to how to install and what types of fasteners to use.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

John you may be aware of this but I thought I would mention it anyways.  There is a steel roof supplier in Ona.  It is Quality Metal Roofing.  I heard of them from Logan County.  That is their plant.  I went down the weekend I went to Milton and got a couple of roof boots.  They had the best price if you didn't have to haul it.  Ended up getting mine delivered for the cost of $30 more than they had.  I couldn't drive to Logan and pick it up that cheap.  It was in the neighborhood of $1.90 a ft then but I am sure it is more now.