medical question

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, April 20, 2009, 11:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

That would be a real miracle, Stink.

She said she misses all y'all (special wording for Homey).
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tell her I appreciate it!   ;D  Tell her to get to feeling better fast.

Homegrown Tomatoes

How's Sassy doing?  Did the decide on whether or not to do surgery?  Keep us up to date here, Glenn...

Dog

Speedy recovery Homegrown and Sassy! Sorry you guys are going through this.

Homegrown could you possibly have an allergy ?
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Homegrown Tomatoes

You know, I am thinking more an more that might be what it is... I noticed the tree pollen is sky-high again, so perhaps that has something to do with it.  I had an appointment with an allergist already scheduled for next Monday because the cedar pollen this year just about killed me... each year my allergies are getting worse and worse until I'm finally at the point I'm willing to be tested and to see what exactly I'm allergic to and to see if there is something I can do for it.  I went back over the questionaire for the allergy clinic and there was a question about if I'd ever had strange bitter tastes in my mouth without an obvious reason.  It is kind of funny that I never had until I had already filled it out, so I went back and checked a few more boxes on the chart. 

Sassy, I hope that you're doing OK and are feeling better.

BobHHowell

You should remove the plug of chewing tobacco when you eat.  Red Man chewing tobacco used to make my food taste funny, too.

I used to get a pain in my eye every time I drank coffee.  Removing the stirring spoon before I take a sip seems to have remied that.

Sometimes ... its just the smallest thing.

Homegrown Tomatoes

glenn kangiser

Sorry for no update - been busy -

No decision on the doctor's part until today and yesterday they had been dragging their feet so I told Sassy I better go do the work they wanted me to do Friday earlier as it looked like anything they would do may be toward Friday, so yesterday they special delivered my steel at 4 PM after I got back from the hospital and got my truck then to Fresno.  I worked until 10:30 PM then slept on a pile of steel, woke up at 5:30 AM and finished the job for Friday by 3PM today.

Sassy got word this morning that they would operate tomorrow then this afternoon they said it looked like it will be around 12 noon or 1 PM -Friday.  I am done with the steel and with well wishes from the project owner and steel company I am headed back up to the hospital Friday morning.  She is doing much better but the procedure is the only way to cure a gall bladder full of stones.

The people I have been brushing for with the Bobcat  were friends of my brother in laws (church) and even though they only came to the underground complex and met Sassy Monday before she went to the hospital, they have been here watering the garden every day and they stayed at the hospital Monday night until 11PM. 

Tonight when I got back from work they fed me so while waiting for dinner I jumped on the Bobcat and cleaned out a bit more brush where they started a small forest fire accidentally (burning the brush I had piled previously last week) in an area next to where I had brushed before.  No problem -- 9-11 brought a whole slew of firefighters and trucks.  No ticket as they could see we were brushing to prevent that very sort of thing.  d*

I'll try to Blackberry an update tomorrow.  Thanks for all of your thoughts and concern. 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Tell Sassy to get better and to stay in close range of a toilet for the next 4 - 6 weeks.
She will just have to trust me on this. I myself was growing a rock garden in my gallbladder. Like I said in an earlier post, I thought I was having a heart attack when one decided to pass through.

The good thing is if the surgery is laproscopic she will have a tiny scar and bounce back from it real quick!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Thank you for checking in Glenn to let us know what is going on... hope Sassy is all better soon.  Sounds like you need to try to take care of yourself and get some rest, too. 

glenn kangiser

They had an early opening today so she went in at 8 AM.  -I arrived here around 9!45 so am waiting for her nurse to call me when she gets out of recovery to return here to her room.  No news til then.

StinkerBell

Tell her if they give her percocet that she wants my new patent version, PercoLAx  ;)

She will understand......

glenn kangiser

She is out- alive and kicking- mean as ever. 

She said thanks for the good wishes and prayers and they said she was doing real good.

Care has been top rate. 

ScottA

That's great news Glenn.  :)

firefox

That certainly is good news!
  This is an entirely new meaning to the expression:
"Let's get stoned"
:)
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Scott.

You had her groaning, Bruce. ;)

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'm glad to hear that she is doing alright and wish her a speedy recovery.
Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 24, 2009, 05:57:43 PM
Thanks, Scott.

You had her groaning, Bruce. ;)
Considering she just came out of surgery, that probably wasn't hard to do.

:)  Hurry up and get well and get back to your "usual rat-killing" (one of my mom's favorite expressions.)

Windpower

Glenn, you and Sassy are in my prayers

glad she is on the mend

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Ernest T. Bass

Best wishes from our side of the planet as well!

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

southernsis

So glad to hear Sassy is doing good. My prayers are with you both.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

Sassy

Hey, all ya'll, thanks for the thoughts & prayers!  I missed you guys!  Got out @ 1100 today, then Glenn drove to the new Bass Pro Shop & we checked that out, even walked up & down the steps.  Way cool!   [cool]  They were giving free samples of hush puppies with jalapenos in them - yummy!  I ate 2 & then had to sample the fudge  ::)  Well, what do ya expect, they starved me for 3 days, couldn't even drink water, then 2 days of clear liquids, this morning I actually got a real breakfast (if you can call hospital food real  heh )  Then we had to stop at Harbor Frieght.  By this time is was probably 4:30 so I said lets eat at Olive Garden.  I had a little bowl of salad, 1/2 a bread stick & probably about 4-5 bites of the entre - I was stuffed, but it was very good.  And I haven't gotten sick yet.

Stinkerbell, they didn't give me percocet - so I won't need the percolax,  [rofl2]  They offered me vicodin but that makes me really nauseated so I'm taking Ultram or tylenol.  Really haven't been too bad.  Had 2 milligrams of morphine(that's not a whole lot) 3x's while at Stanford & then whatever they gave me at John C Fremont so I didn't feel like I was dying.  I feel for anyone who has had a gallbladder attack or pancreatitis.

What happened, is that a the blockage caused me to get pancreatitis & made my liver real inflamed, the lab levels were higher than I've ever seen in most of the patients I've cared for.  I had to keep convincing them I wasn't a closet alcoholic,  heh  - they even did a urine toxicology screen  [waiting] but I was clean except for the morphine they gave me in ER.  This was the 1st time I have ever gone to ER for myself & the 1st time I have ever been hospitalized except for having babies.  Oh, because of some other lab values, they checked for a dissecting aneurysm & embolism - I got 2 cat scans, an angiogram of chest, & MRI of chest, abdomen & pelvis & 2 ultra sounds - so, now I know everything else is ok.  I'd already had a treadmill & passed with flying colors a couple weeks before.  Yep, Stinkerbell, the attacks did feel like heart attacks. 

I'm just thankful that our little John C Fremont hospital took me right in, got my pain & n/v controlled, diagnosed the pancreatitis & knew I needed to be shipped out.  It took less than 4 hrs for them to have me on my way by ambulance to Stanford Univ. Hospital, one of the best in the nation.  The nurses & docs were great, everyone else was too - I can't complain at all.  A lot of people complain about our little mountain hospital, but they did as good, if not better than any other ER would & I didn't even have to wait at all - Glenn told them I needed a wheelchair & one of the LVN's was right out there to bring me in & they were working on me right away! 

Another positive, it really gave me 1st hand experience at being a patient.  It is sad that bedside nurses usually have to leave the bedside to get any promotions - they run their tails off, keep a great attitude while there's tons of "specialty" nurses making lots of money running around with clipboards going to meetings, telling people what to do & they don't have a clue.  The bedside nurses get burned out because they keep cutting staff so they, too, go to some supervisory or clinical position; - the LVN's & CNA's & also the others who day in & day out are directly caring for patients were great, too.  Now, this being the "Bay Area" close to San Francisco, I had a transvestite do my MRI  :o although I don't agree with that lifestyle, he "she" was very nice & professional.  So, if you've had someone who cared for you directly treat you well, tell them, write a note, send a card, write to the director of the hospital.  There was one male nurses aid who was so excited all day because a family had sent a bouquet of flowers to the unit & written a nice note & his name was the only name noted.  Not because he was the only one named, but because someone noticed the care he had given & let him know he was appreciated.  I know this is needed in every profession, but health care is different in that you are dealing with the most intimate  needs of a person when he/she is at their most vulnerable & neediest stage of their life & family are also needing support & a caretaker can make or break that person's stay at a hospital or ER.  Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, now  d*

Thanks again for your thoughts, well wishes & prayers!  It's good to be home!

BTW, I guess I finally got my money's worth from my insurance  d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Good to see you are up and about.  :D

That's a good point on the notes to the hospital when you've received great care. I've done that each of the past three times I've been hospitalized. Also did a negative report on the one who tried to give me the wrong pills.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Quote from: MountainDon on April 25, 2009, 11:16:04 PM
Good to see you are up and about.  :D

That's a good point on the notes to the hospital when you've received great care. I've done that each of the past three times I've been hospitalized. Also did a negative report on the one who tried to give me the wrong pills.

Thanks - you did the right thing, Don. 

Oh, BTW, I must not forget DH - he was a sweetheart  :-*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Great to see you posting again!  I hope your recovery continues going as well as it has so far... sounds very good! [cool] I wrote a thank you note to a nurse who stayed a double shift so that she could be there until my second daughter was born.  She was there when I came in, and she was still there when I delivered, about 16 hours later.

glenn kangiser

Cool - the nurses and doc's involved were exceptionally great - the nurses especially as they outdid themselves to provide excellent care.  They even let me stay all night and the cute little guy that was so nice brought me a recliner. ::)