Engineer Adjustment Tool

Started by jraabe, July 10, 2006, 04:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jraabe

glenn-k

I don't know what to say, John. :-/  :)

jraabe

For every project there's the right and proper TOOL.  8-)

For some projects this is the tool...

(Some would change "Engineer" to "Building Inspector" or "Architect", but those may require slightly modified tools.)  ::)

bil2054

You hit that one on the, er, head, John.
I have often thought in the heat of the moment that if there is justice in the universe, I will be placed in charge of that part of hell reserved for engineers and designers.  This is one of those areas where too many people have that attitude of, "Well, I have the degree, therefore I am infallible".  How about getting out there and working with a wrench, hammer, what have you in your hand for awhile, so you know what the heck you are talking about?  I don't have any beef with "good" engineers... the guys who have done it themselves, or have the sense to talk with those who have.  Almost the same formula as for a good military officer.

glenn-k

I've worked with both kinds and converted one who tried to BS me --

If only they were all hands on engineers like daddymem maybe they would be easier to work with.

The best ones I've worked with ask for opinions or ideas on problems then crunch the numbers and things work.  Opposite the engineer I'm thinking of was the architect -- he redesigned the stairs wrong 3 times before sending the engineer out to ask me how it might work - and together we made it work. :)

bil2054

I don't know if it is still the case, but in Great Britain prospective mechanical engineers used to be put under the tutelage of a machine shop foreman.  The foreman would do somethng like: "Here's a lump o' iron an' a mill bastid.  Use that clamp on t' bench, and make me a 3" cube.  When yer done with 'at, bring it to me, an' mebbe we'll do summat wi' a spanner."
My "favorite" engineers were the company hired to replace a steam pump.  They insisted that a centrifugal pump would draw water through an 18" flanged pipeline that had been installed in 1928.  A flanged pipe like that passes almost as much air as water.  Three weeks later they had to admit the dumb..s foreman was right when he shook his head and said "Won't work".  'Course, no credit was forthcoming; they just quietly re-designed the whole thing. [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=smiley.gif]