Author Topic: China and its historic mass migration  (Read 2630 times)

jraabe

China and its historic mass migration
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:29:52 AM »
This is a great article that appeared in the Sunday Seattle Times newspaper. It will give you a personal level understanding of the ongoing largest human migration in history.

I sent the following note to the author,

"High human interest, touching character development, great charts and dense with economic and demographic information. A first cabin, "Atlantic Monthly" piece of work. I feel I want to learn more about John Devine, his MTI project and the role of inventive Westerners in the unfolding of China. This is clearly not a "sweat shop" entrepreneur."

Article Link: A New life for Susie Cheng

The village Susie came from and returns to with the reporter. This photo from an An Audio Slide Show

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:33:43 AM by jraabe »

Sassy

Re: China and its historic mass migration
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:33:32 PM »
Very interesting, John, thanks for sharing!  I read the whole article & listened to the audio slide show in one sitting.  Made me want to learn more about MTI... I've only read about the sweatshops.  I can't imagine living in such a densely populated city... here we are living on top of a mountain in a mud & cob hut,  growing our own vegetables, raising chickens... hmmm, I guess we have the best of both worlds!   :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:34:23 PM by Sassy »

jraabe

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:49:31 PM »
I asked the author (Al Scott) the same question about the engineer/entrepreneur, John Devine, and his MTI project. He responded:

"John's company is called Mera Technologies. It's based here in Seattle, and operates out of a storefront on Nickerson St. off Queen Anne. He's an engineer who has an elegant new idea. And he has a special ability with people that allowed him to not only see Susie's potential, but bring it out through circumstances that would have bewildered most. Sadly, I had to leave most of his story out, for space."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:51:19 PM by jraabe »

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:10:54 PM »
Glenn said that our wind generator uses permanent magnets.  MTI's brief description of their generators sounds like the way to go if they perform as stated.

glenn-k

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:17:10 PM »
Here is a link to Hugh Piggot's site and older plans to build a PM generator. Similar to MTI's description.  It will be interesting to learn more about both aspects of this story.

http://www.scoraigwind.com/#older

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 10:17:35 PM by glenn-k »

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
Files included: 37 - 1132KB. (show)
Cache hits: 12: 0.00182s for 40,710 bytes (show)
Queries used: 29.

[Show Queries]