Reloading 7.62x51 and .308 anyone?

Started by OlJarhead, December 23, 2009, 06:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Had to work a night shift so decided to take a break and reload some rounds for my M1A -- a new experience since I've only done pistol rounds so far (though a thousand or two of those).

Thanks to a friend I started using Reddings resizing Die Wax which was a BIG help!  Now it's time to do some more reading but I can't wait to try som match bullets out at the range :)

harry51

Sounds like fun! I got to shoot an M1A awhile back and loved it! Please be sure to do your due diligence on appropriate loads for your gas operated rifle, I know there have been problems with handloads for Garands where the burning rate of the powder and the pressure generated were too far away from the load the rifle was designed to function with. It would seem that the same would be true of the M1A, closely related as it is. 
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

OlJarhead

Quote from: harry51 on December 23, 2009, 11:12:43 AM
Sounds like fun! I got to shoot an M1A awhile back and loved it! Please be sure to do your due diligence on appropriate loads for your gas operated rifle, I know there have been problems with handloads for Garands where the burning rate of the powder and the pressure generated were too far away from the load the rifle was designed to function with. It would seem that the same would be true of the M1A, closely related as it is. 

Don't worry :)  I read a lot.

The M1A/M14/M1 Garand and other similar battle rifles do not work well with high pressure loads like a lot of hunting rifles but seem to do very well with velocities much lower then some would think.

In fact, recent articles I've read have match loads pushing around 2600fps while hunting rifles are often easily over 3000ftp.

peternap

A little hint on sizing lubes.

The old honey type lube that you put on with a pad, is really STP. That's just a thing to remember for cocktail party talk.

For sizing lube, I use anhydrous lanolin. It works better than anything on the market and is cheaper too,
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

OlJarhead

Quote from: peternap on December 23, 2009, 08:17:14 PM
A little hint on sizing lubes.

The old honey type lube that you put on with a pad, is really STP. That's just a thing to remember for cocktail party talk.

For sizing lube, I use anhydrous lanolin. It works better than anything on the market and is cheaper too,

I'm pretty much in love with Reddings wax :)  Stuff is amazing.  One slight skim of it on my finger and I can do 3-4 .308's shot out of an M1A.

NM_Shooter

For grins I asked one of the shooters I used to compete with what his recipes were for his M1A... Here's what he gave me:

200 yds.   39 gr.       4895    Fed 210    155 MK    LC case

300 yds.   41 gr.       4895    Fed 210    155 MK     "    " (Preferred load)
               38.5 gr.     4895    Fed 210    168 MK     "    "

600 yds.   41 gr.       4064    Fed 210M  175 MK    Fed. case

(I'm surprised he uses a Federal case.  These are notoriously softer brass, and I can't use them in the match chamber on my AR)
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

OlJarhead

Quote from: NM_Shooter on February 07, 2010, 05:05:02 AM
For grins I asked one of the shooters I used to compete with what his recipes were for his M1A... Here's what he gave me:

200 yds.   39 gr.       4895    Fed 210    155 MK    LC case

300 yds.   41 gr.       4895    Fed 210    155 MK     "    " (Preferred load)
               38.5 gr.     4895    Fed 210    168 MK     "    "

600 yds.   41 gr.       4064    Fed 210M  175 MK    Fed. case

(I'm surprised he uses a Federal case.  These are notoriously softer brass, and I can't use them in the match chamber on my AR)

Cool :)  Pretty close to what I'm loading now.
100 yds 42gr IMR 4064 REM No.91/2 155 MK WCC case

But I'm lagging on getting the final touches done and dying to get out and put some holes in paper :)

The 4895 was out of stock when I went looking for some -- it's a popular powder for this rifle.

NM_Shooter

4895 was what a lot of the military used for this round.  My club used to sell reclaimed 4895 in 8# jugs for $60.  I went through 24# one year (through an AR no less!).  It was a heck of a deal. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Phssthpok

Does anyone here know where I can find load data for South African military surplus 7.62x51 FMJ ammo?

I have about three cases of the stuff, and I was planning to pull the FMJ slugs and reload with some 180gr soft points for hunting ($27 for 100 slugs vs. $24 for 20 rounds commercial hunting load) and was hoping to reuse the powder. Obviously this would not be advisable without knowing the properties of the 'factory' powder.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Phssthpok on February 08, 2010, 08:23:08 PM
Does anyone here know where I can find load data for South African military surplus 7.62x51 FMJ ammo?

I have about three cases of the stuff, and I was planning to pull the FMJ slugs and reload with some 180gr soft points for hunting ($27 for 100 slugs vs. $24 for 20 rounds commercial hunting load) and was hoping to reuse the powder. Obviously this would not be advisable without knowing the properties of the 'factory' powder.

Why?

I'd shoot the amount of rounds I need to reload for hunting, size and de-prime, swage and cut the primer pockets to allow civilian primers (not hard to do) and then reload with the load you want.

Otherwise you have no real idea of the primer in them and the powder?  You have no idea...bad ju ju

Also, 180 grains is too big for an M1A or FN-FAL really.  Best to stick to 174gr or less -- but if you are shooting a bolt gun then fire away (but still fire once through the rifle (assuming it's chambered for 7.62x51 and not .308) and neck size the brass.