I just hit the 500 mile mark

Started by peternap, June 17, 2008, 07:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

500 miles= -5 gallons of high test gas ;D ;D ;D

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

n74tg

So, you're only getting 100 mpg on your Whizzer.  You must have a large engine on it as the 25cc engines I've seen are supposed to get 250 mpg and the 50 cc engines are supposed to get 150 mpg.  Is what I've heard wrong?

Yes, I have looked into getting a setup like this.  How have you liked yours so far?  What would you do different if you could start all over again?  Is that a Schwinn you started out with?

By the way, nice ride.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

peternap

138 cc  :)

They're pre built.
http://www.whizzermotorbike.com/

It's a 4 stroke 138 cc engine with an automatic clutch. They are a little too big to meet some states moped requirements, including Va, but cops don't know how big the engine is.

Out of the Factory they go 35mph...10 minutes tinkering = 45, 2hours =50mph....the fastest one I've seen went 62 mph.

Those little 2 strokes your looking at don't have any power and don't last long. I've seen Whizzers with 20,000 on yjem and still going strong.

The only things I changed (Other than the 2 hour engine mods) were:

I changed the seat and put an offset post .
I put mountain bike bars.
I Added a rack.
I put thorn resistant tubes in it.

I may put a tach on it but otherwise, I'm happy.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

n74tg

Pete:
About what are they selling for now?
My house building blog:

peternap

peternap

desdawg

Congratulations Peter.
What all is involved with the engine modifications. Does the dealer do that for you and does it void your warranty?
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

peternap

Some dealers will, some won't. Some build super modded engines.

The first thing is to bore the carb restrictor plate to 3/4". This takes 5 minutes. Makes a BIG difference.

From there, the skys the limit. Shave head, mushroom lifters, 26mm carb, different clutch...on and on. None hard or expensive. Quenton Gunthor, a dealer in NC holds the land speed record at 68 MPH. He also does mods and sells modded engines.

Yes, it does void the warranty.

n74tg

Have you beefed up wheels, tires, brakes, suspension etc.  Seems I was reading at MotoredBikes.com forum that those components are not designed to handle motorcycle speeds, but rather bicycle speeds.  I don't think I would have any problem with 30 or 35 mph, but 50 or 60 routinely on a "bicycle",  hmmm might be asking for trouble.

What are your thoughts on this Pete?  You do have 500 miles of experience, and that is 500 more than any of the rest of us.
My house building blog:

peternap

I haven't beefed them up except for heavy thorn proof tubes. The wheels are OK unless you hit some really rough stuff.
The brakes are NOT OK. They are poor for even 35.

You can get disc brakes as an aftermarket product and I may put them on sometime. The fellow who holds the speed record once joked, "How do you stop a Whizzer at 60MPH......Hit something"/

glenn kangiser

That would make me want an exoskeleton. 

I saw my cousin when he failed to negotiate a rather high speed turn on a gravel road at about 12 years old. 

Hamburger, anybody? [hungry]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Peter I found a picture of my Wizzer I used to have! Not the best picture being around 40plus years old but here it is. I was the terror of the block on it and I could get mine going a lot faster than my bike did! I put lots of miles on it and they were fun miles. AWWW the memorys! Yes that is a Uni-Cycle against the tree. I road that all over the place miles at a time and also built one that was 6 ft tall to ride out of a bike. Mark

desdawg

That is neat Willy. When I was young I had an Allstate mo-ped sold by Sears. My how things have changed. Back in those days mopeds and scooters were not unusual. Then I graduated to a 250cc Honda Bentley. I have usually had a bike of some sort over the years but I never really was "Biker" per say. I just always enjoyed being on two wheels.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Willy

Quote from: desdawg on June 21, 2008, 07:42:36 AM
That is neat Willy. When I was young I had an Allstate mo-ped sold by Sears. My how things have changed. Back in those days mopeds and scooters were not unusual. Then I graduated to a 250cc Honda Bentley. I have usually had a bike of some sort over the years but I never really was "Biker" per say. I just always enjoyed being on two wheels.
I could cash in and retire now with the cars I had in my younger years! I had a few neat ones to drive. They neat ones were my 55 Chevy, 48 Willys Jeepster, 64 Chevy Impalla SS, 69 Z28 Camero, restored 48 Power Wagon, restored 53 Military M37, restored 64 CJ5 Jeep V-6 with Over drive, and the most fun of all a 1967 Shelby GT 500 Fastback with Dual Quads completely original. They only made around 1100 of those and it was a blast to drive. I traded my Z28 for it and boy did I get the better deal! It only had 35,000 miles on it. Sure got a lot of tickets but it out ran a lot of cops to! Mark