Child # 2 gets suspended!

Started by StinkerBell, April 24, 2008, 02:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

So I get a call from a VP on the High School saying my daughter was in a fight and is being suspended.

So what happened is another girl and my daughter had an exchange of words and my daughter admits she said a few things to grate the girl. The girl says we are going to fight after class, daughter says I am to tired I am not going to fight you. After class the girl goes after my daughter, not once but 3 times. My daughter after the third attack pushes her off, she falls taking with her the girls t-shirt. My daughter gets back up runs to a teacher, because she does not want to fight. My daughter tells me she didn't want to get in trouble that why she ran. Ok fair enough, BUT my daughter was issued a 3 day suspension. The same as the girl who threw the first blow and went for my daughter three times. I point out, look my daughter per your words did not fight back but pushed her off and got a teacher. Yes, but our rules is everyone involved gets an equal suspension...So...I plan to tell the principal when he calls back, that if he t does not commute her suspension by a day that I will encourage my children in the future to fight back and beat the crude out of any student that lays a hand on them, seeing the punishment is equal. My daughter can fight and is rather good at it.

So any one have any thoughts on the matter?

benevolance

pull yer kid out of the school... homeschool them

demand that your child not be suspended at all... if they did not throw a punch or throw the first punch then they do not deserve to be suspened..

Here in SC there is a school board that meets one night a week to discuss school matters... go there... tell the principal that you want to have the matter heard before the school board... Go over the principal's head on it....

StinkerBell

I am waiting for the Principal to call back, he is at a meeting........

If I do not get this resolved then the next step in the district office.

Also, they send her home for three days with no school work to do so she does not fall behind....

I wish I could Home school her. I am doing that with my youngest. She is 17 and has  learning issues and is on on IEP. She does not want to be home schooled, he rather drop out.

I am just ranting anyways.....I see public schools as state sponsored day care.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Stink, I'd be raising a ruckus if it were me....  but one question... what is IED?  I'm wondering if it is something I should know and just forgot? 

StinkerBell

I know what an IED is, but she is on a IEP...
I will pm you with a bit more info.

Homegrown Tomatoes

StinkerBell

ScottA

Thats a pretty common policy in schools nowadays. Don't try to figure out what happened just punnish everyone involved. I'd raise hell if I where you.

StinkerBell

I did, but by the time I work the chain the 3 days will be over. I hate state sponsored day care.

tanya

The reason your kid didn't get any homework to bring home is that they don't let kids who are suspended submit the work they miss!!!  They take the loss onthier grades.  If I were you I would make an appointment after school withthe teacher involved, the principle, the district supervisor and playground supervisor.  get them alltogether and talk it all out, take a long long time make sure you are in no hurry to leave make your position known you want your daughters suspension reversed!!!  This may seem like a simple little school thing but what it really is... is  a mark on your daughters record, as a violent individual a very serious thing in this day and age even for school children (some summer camps wont even take kids with such small things ontheir record).  At age 17 I am positive she cannot afford to take those three days of ZEROS either.  Fight it and if they don't reverse it take her out of school and homeschool the rest of the year immediately, and file a lawsuit !!! It is the only way you can be absolutely sure she will be able to graduate next year.  As a mom who jsut had my youngst son graduate last year I know what it feels like to get a kid through school almost all the way to graduation only to have them risk losing that important moment because they are missing a credit or some other problem fell through the cracks of the school system.  at age 17 this is not some school playground issue this is your daughters future!!!  The school board and superintendent are just as responsible as she is, and as you are, for her educational success, make that very very clear!!!  If they don't reverse the suspension call the state board of education too. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

benevolance

tanya

a fight is not a big deal in the sense that it will go on a record... at least not as far as I can tell... Heck when I was in middle school and highschool I would get in more than one fight a year....

I got suspended a few times... and it was not an issue when I applied for college. I was not seen as a violent offender or anything...

I got suspended one time for in the principals words beating the kid up too badly...I did not start the fight... but I gave the guy a good beating so the principal said I had to be suspended... Said that I did not have to hit the guy like 10 times.... I think that the other kids parents were furious when junior came home and he looked like he got hit by a truck..and so that was why I got suspended..

I only ever started a couple fights in my life... and one was when a guy slapped around  my sister... I definately picked a fight with that clown....hehe...I wonder if he is able to chew solid foods without pain.

I would not worry about a girl who got into one fight in school...She tried to avoid fighting and if she only gets into one or two altercations the whole time she is in school I would not believe anyone could think she was violent or a trouble maker

mvk

Stink
I think I would at least find out all the ramifications for your daughter, and then maybe do what Tanya said.

I do know what a IEP is, any chance that they are related. We had to push pretty hard about my daughter's and didn't make any friends in the school.

Mike

StinkerBell

College is not on the table for her. Also we really think she has hit her ceiling on learning.
To work the chain of appeals will take me longer then the suspension. She has never been suspended before, so now she can claim she has had this experience. I told the principal that if anyone touches her in a threatening way again she is going to beat the snot out of them. He was not at all happy with that. I said the punishment is the same so she might as well defend her self. Funny thing is when I was telling him that 3 days to to excessive he said we just need to agree to disagree, so when he got upset about my statement about her defending herself, I told him we just need to agree to disagree.

mvk

Stinkerbell!!! Whats in a name? He's probably afraid you are going to beat the snot out of him :)

Mike

StinkerBell

Ya know Mike, I have a back hoe, no shallow graves for me!

Yes I am just joking glenn, don't be afraid.

benevolance

i like the way that you think though....

I am call that a problem solver... hehe

glenn kangiser

No fear here, Stink.  I've ridden in an airplane when I was flying. [crz]

Stink -- I think now is the time to encourage her to skip graduation and educate her on the evils of the system.  Sit her down and have her read all of my comments on this forum. d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

This is a crappy deal, and I am sorry you are having to go through this.  Do you have the financial resources to have an attorney accompany you to the office when you have your meeting?  That would certainly get their attention.  I would demand that she be able to make up any work that she missed, and probably ask for tutoring as well.  There may be free legal counseling available depending on where you live.

Public schools are awful.  I've got one daughter who is in the gifted program and I still think she is barely getting educated sometimes.  I have another daughter in regular classes, and those are a joke.  We have to work with her 10 hours a week to compensate.  I figure we are not too far behind the amount of time we would be spending if she was home schooled.

If I am able to, I will home school my grandkids. 

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

benevolance

sad to say my mother in law and my wife are teachers...and they both agree that we need to home school our kids...

that does not say much for public education... :-\

StinkerBell

If I had extra money for an attorney she would be going to private school to being with.

It needs to be let go and she learns a lesson on rules. How nowadays rules are made and practice with little to no common sense.

John_C

What about filing a complaint with the police against the other girl for battery.  I'm pretty sure the school doesn't want (the publicity of) a police investigation.  The police are likely to say it's a school matter but you can press them or the local City/County/DA.

I  don't like this alternative very much, but all the others set your daughter and / or you up to be the bad guy in the future.

StinkerBell

Nah, now if it continues I will.

StinkerBell

I got the official letter of suspension, via certified mail. She was suspended for inciting a fight. I wish these people would get their story straight.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Benevolence, I was a teacher in a private school, and I still think kids need to be homeschooled!   :)  And I'm a product of the public schools myself, so I reckon that grants me the authority to say that most of the education I received there is worthless (there were some notable exceptions... my biology teacher, band teac, her, and trig/calc teacher, who were all more like parents than the typical teachers.)

Wish that things were different, Stink, but since they're not how are you going to make them different?

MountainDon

As far as homeschooling goes, making a blanket statement that kids should be home schooled is nonsensical to me.

From our exposure to assorted parents and parenting styles that are all over the map, that is a recipe for disaster in many cases. I do feel that if one feels the need and if one able, then by all means go ahead.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.