Off grid watering

Started by suburbancowboy, January 03, 2012, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

Boy this is a mild winter here in Utah.  If it stays this way I will be back on the mountain end of march.  My question for everybody today has to do with watering trees.  This spring I will be planting around 20 trees on my property.  I will need some way to keep them watered in the summer.  I am on the mountain at least once a week in the summer.  But there might be stretches where they will go a couple of weeks with out water so I am trying to think of a way set up some kind of automatic off grid watering system so I can get the trees some water.  Has anybody seen or heard of such a thing?

MountainDon

More details needed:
source of your water, things like that...
... if a well is there power...   etc. ?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

suburbancowboy

Water is from a community cistern.   I have a water trailer that I hook to my truck, fill it up and haul it to my lot.  Gravity fed water pressure from trailer.  I was wondering if there is something like a battery run watering meter?

MountainDon

There are low voltage irrigation timer and solenoid valve systems.
HERE'S ONE...  http://www.cisolar.com/12VIrrigTimer.html

These timer controllers pretty well all run off a "wall wart", some may be DC. Check the sdpecs on some and you masy find some you can use without the transformer. Toro makes some that are DC compatible I think

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Rob_O

There are watering timers that run on batteries. Customer of mine had one he got from Amazon
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

rick91351

`
Greetings from an Idaho neighbor.  What kind of trees?  First my orchard is a hobby I AM NO EXPERT.  We currently have a little over eighty trees planted in our main orchard.    Most trees only take five gallons per week while young.  Most publications I have read do not like drip or soaker type irrigation for trees.  So your water trailer should work well.  Especially young trees, where you want them to grow deep roots.  Our fruit trees get about five gallons per week.  We do not freak out if they miss a week.  Their roots run very deep.  However you can count on one hand the times we have missed.   

If growing fruit trees / ornamentals or anything the deer might want to munch and cruch you might try these.  What we call our mini orchard.  Oljarhead  turned me on to another nursery and I am working up another order.  We will be growing more fruit trees and some chestnuts in these enclosures.  They did very well this year. 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.