Pre-hung doors

Started by beckhamk, December 18, 2011, 05:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckhamk

ok guys I need your help.  I just bought five pre-hung knotty pine doors. I only installed two of them so far.  I have them all plumb and level, shimmed and nailed. I did not install any hardware yet.  The doors open and close smoothly no touching. The next morning, the one door which was left open is now hitting the frame/jamb when being closed.    What happened?

Redoverfarm

Retighten all of your hinge screws first and then go from there.  Make sure thal the door top is level and both sides are plumb.  Once in a while you forget to attach the frame to the rough framing. Double check everything in the installation.  If the casing or trim hasn't been installed yet you may have to cut the nails and start over.

PEG688

It sagged due to your nails not holding the upper hinge well enough.  remove the inner screw on the door jamb side of the hinge leaf and drive a long screw , 2 1/2" generally work well into that hole and tighten it up that will pull the door over on the hinge side , so it "lifts" the handle side of the door up and will hold it in place.

The inner screw  or center screw , in the case of a three screw hinge , is the one that will hit the rough framing trimmer stud , the other two screw holes would go into the drywall edge and have no adjusting effect on the door.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

beckhamk

beckhamk

Well guys - i wanted to thank you guys for your suggestions.  Got the two installed doors reinstalled with the screw through the hing. Then also added some 1/2 x 1/2 in pine around the one side of the door to build it out to match the T&G and it looks good - really good!

I'll have to take a picture the next time i am out.

thanks again!