Plan support - VC Studio

Started by dstncrawford, January 11, 2014, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstncrawford

I have been studying the studio plans for the Victoria cottage and I have a few questions for anyone that has time for a newbie.

I noticed the pier and beam foundation layout for the original VC plans are different than the studio version so it got me wondering -  Do I need to add any additional interior pier and beams to support a bathroom (same location as original VC plan)?  What about to support the bridge loft option?

John Raabe

The studio plan included in the Victoria sheet 1 is for a stand alone 16' wide cottage. It has its own foundation layout. If you can sketch out your proposed layouts we can look at it. It will not need extra support for the bath layout on the main level. You may need to double joists up to support a bridge between two lofts.

None of us are as smart as all of us.

dstncrawford

Thanks for that, John.  After reviewing sheet 1, I see the 6x8 beams are used for the loft floor framing.

I plan to keep the 8.5' and 12' lofts, but with a 7.5' x 4' bridge instead of the 7.5' x 8' midsection (in the same location).  I was thinking I should use 6x12s on each loft side of the bridge like the original plan, but that had me wondering if I would need additional piers for that.

John Raabe

The 6x12s should be fine. Without doing a real engineering trace, I expect these beams are not concentrating a large enough load to require an additional set of piers. This is only the loft floor load. That said more support does not hurt.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

dstncrawford

Thanks again, John.  I appreciate the support you provide with your plans.