24 ft beam

Started by dogneck, July 21, 2008, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

Any ideas for lifting the 6x12 laminated  24' long beam.  I need to get it lifted to about 3ft height to place onto the simpson connectors.   
(Besides getting six people together).     Can I make some type of tripod with 4x4 and use a winch?     Anybody do  this by themselves?
It's really heavy.
Thanks,

PEG688

I've used wall jack to lift beams ,  set up takes a little thinking but it can be done that way.

Rental places should have them.

I used them as back up and for changing out the poles under the bottle jacks to lift this 54' steel "I" beam ,

You can see at least one bottle jack in the back ground but this might give you some idea's on how to brace the jack posts.

Be carefull , pick ood straight , clear or almost clear  Doug Fir  2x's , have a escape plan at all times.   

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jumpinfrog

Peg's idea looks like the right one. I did just put 6 x 12 x 32' into place using 2 2 ton hydraulic car jack on cinder blocks to get up there by myself. A little bit shaky but it worked. :D

TheWire

I have used scaffolding with a block and tackle or come-a-long to raise beams.  For our log home we got 6"x20"x 20' glulams 21 feet in the air using this method.  Set up scaffolding so the beam is coming up the center of 2 sets of scaffolding or secure the scaffolding with rope and use all the pins to prevent a possible tip over.

If you need to raise it 3 feet you might consider attaching cleats at the ends on top to allow a jack to pick it up from each end then start cribbing under it as you jack each end up.  

glenn kangiser

Don't try this if you have back problems or are not used to lifting heavy stuff, but...

I would lift it one end at a time keeping my back straight- possibly onto a saw horse at each end first then reset and do the final lift.  I show the weight to be 460 lbs calculated.  The ground will hold one end so you only have to lift half.

Plan B - you could make a tripod from 3   2x4s  with a 1/2 inch or so all thread going through the tops - 2 legs one side 1 on the other , leaving space between 2 legs at the bolt on top to hang a come-along.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

dogneck

For the wall jacks,  since I'm lifting off the ground onto the concrete piers,   I wouldn't have anything to nail to top of the 2x4 unto-   like you have them secured to the floors joists.   Maybe I could just add some bracing to hold them into place.

I like the idea of scaffold with a winch.

I couldn't lift one end of a 6x12  12ft beam, so I doubt I can lift one end unto a sawhorse.

Thanks to everyone.

MountainDon

I don't know if I'm too late on this, but have you considered building them in place? That what we did with our 2 four layer 2x19 30 foot long beams. Using a number of bar and large C-clamps to hold everything tight we then air nailed them, one layer at a time. I made them over length so they didn't even have to be slide one way or the other. We're going to cut them to the correct length tomorrow.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dogneck

Not too late.    I was talking to someone about that.   thanks,

ScottA

2x19" ? x30' Ok Don I'm not even going to ask where you came up with that.  ???  I like Dons idea of built in place. Sounds like the safest way.

benevolance

have a barbeque invite 4 or 5 friends... tell them burgers and beers are serves after the beams are in place [cool]

MountainDon

Quote from: MountainDon on July 22, 2008, 11:51:38 PM
2x19 30 foot long

OOps!  :-[ 2x10 and an example of typing poorly and not proof reading.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.