Newbie w/measurement question?

Started by Jmeans, March 08, 2009, 10:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmeans

Hi everyone glad to be here. Hopefully have a simple measurement question for you someone on here. I am currently working on some small victorian home design plan with a lot of fancy exterior molding. The windows on the home are are 2' x 5" wide by 7' - 0" high. I am using a rough plan I found as a guide and have come across a measurement on this plan for the exterior WINDOW TRIM that I'm not sure of. It reads on the plan as follows:  5/4x5 WINDOW TRIM  -  There is also a CORNER BOAORD measurement of 5/4x4 ?  I assume the 5 stands for inches however the other part is what is throwing me. Any help would be great - Thanks JIM

glenn kangiser

It would be 1 1/4" (5 fourths) thick by 5"  or 1 1/4" x 4"

I have yet to figure why they figure that is a good way to write it.

w* to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

The 5/4 measurement is actually 1.0 inches, although if a hardwood it might be 1.125". The 5/4 (1.25") is what the wood was before it was surfaced or planed smooth. Same concept as to why a 2 x 4 is actually 1.5 X 3.5, or a 1" pine board is 3/4"
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I was not aware of the planing on it. d*

I found charts.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I was in a rush before; had to go paint a door on a rental.

The actual dimension may vary between softwoods and hardwoods.  ???  Yep. Plus whether or not it's dry or not and for hardwoods, how many sides it's surfaced on.  d*

GO HERE
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jmeans

Thanks for all the replies guys I'm guessing by what I have read in your replies I've determined the '5/4' in the 5/4x4 is the thickness (depth) of the trim and the 'x4' part is the width?
These attached images of the actual plan and window may shed some light also. You can barely see the measurements on the plan itself for all the ext. trim in the 5/4x style.
Thanks again - Jim

PEG688

Quote from: Jmeans on March 08, 2009, 03:10:23 PM

#1: Thanks for all the replies guys I'm guessing by what I have read in your replies I've determined the '5/4' in the 5/4x4 is the thickness (depth) of the trim and the 'x4' part is the width?

#2:

#1: Yes, that right.

#2: Is this photo your place or from your plans site?

The reason I ask that is the siding that is installed in that photo is called "drop siding" and it lays flat on the wall . When 5/4" window and door trim is used one needs to take care with the siding thickness so the siding ( if it's  3/4"  bevel siding which stacks on itself and results in a thicker total thickness that causes the siding to project past the 5/4 / 1" thick trim).

That may confuse you as you seem to not be up on all the small details , types of materials , terms builders use.   

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jmeans

The photo is from the plans sight and the actual siding used is is siding called 'Hardie planking'. I think its laid flat notched under one another.However I think this window trim is put on before the hardie plank. JIM

PEG688

Quote from: Jmeans on March 08, 2009, 05:39:41 PM

The photo is from the plans sight and the actual siding used is is siding called 'Hardie planking'. I think its laid flat notched under one another.However I think this window trim is put on before the hardie plank. JIM

Yes, the trim is installed first , and any Hardi plank you use will work with 5/4 trim. So it my scenario with the 3/4 bevel will not effect your use.

You'll need to do more reading about what goes on where and when before you start building or you'll really make it harder on yourself in the long run.

G/L PEG

PS Building is not rocket science , but you can make it seem like it is by starting out wrong , or out of sequence. When you don't know what the sequences are that makes it all more easy to screw up .

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jmeans

Thanks so so much. I'm definitely learning as I go so I will proceed with caution and take all the extra time to design my 1,900 s.f. dream home. I guess I now know I have a place to visit for experienced advice and direction. So very glad I joined this Forum guys thanks. You are all very welcoming - Sincerely Jim Means

Jens

I don't know guys, all the 5/4 stock I've ever gotten is between 1" and 5/4, pretty reliably, whether soft or hardwood, finish planed in home depot.  Why 5/4?  Well, its fewer numbers than 1 1/4", easily understood, and makes a good way to teach your homeschooled kids fractions :)
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!